Chapter 14

Chapter 14

News about the heated confrontation between Nate and Avery spread like a wildfire across the resort. It was only yesterday that it happened, but for the past twenty-four hours, it was the only topic of discussion anywhere. The fact that Nina Harper had basically forced Avery to take down the article from the Gossip website only added fuel to the fire. At this point, it was no mystery to anyone that the article was obviously about us, but now that there wasn't any physical evidence to prove it, it eased my worries.

Still, there was no escaping the excessive staring and murmuring that occurred whenever I walked into a seminar, through the lobby, or even in an elevator. Despite the fact that we had taken care of Avery's public outing of us, it only validated speculation which increased the chatter around us.

I had to focus on something else. I refused to let this destroy me again. I was stronger now, mentally and emotionally, and I wasn't going to let them take advantage of my vulnerability. I knew from experience, that eventually, this was going to blow over.

But while we were in the midst of it all, why not give them something more to talk about? Why not make a show of it?

"Oh! funny running into you here."

I stepped into Nate's private cabana on the beach. He was currently wearing a loose white button up that was open, exposing his defined body, a pair of black swim trunks, and casually laying on his side reading a book.

He looked...ugh.

Damnit, Nate Chester.

I was a weak, weak woman.

"What a surprise," He looked up with a smile, checking the leather watch on his wrist. "Three o'clock on the dot."

I comfortably settled down on the cushion next to him, setting my beach bag onto the ground.

"Miss Monroe, would you care for a glass of champagne?" He asked, propping himself up and reached over the table that was full of fruits, cheese, crackers, and alcohol for a tall bottle. He twisted the cap of it open.

"That'd be lovely, thank you," I nodded.

As he did, we both laughed together.

Everyone around us, and I do mean, everyone, was either staring, whispering, taking pictures, or all three. The cabana had no walls for privacy, so anyone strolling along the beach or walking passed to get a drink at the outdoor bar had a front row view of us.

We loved it. We were soaking in all the attention, even clinking our glasses together and easing into comfortable positions on the cushion as we enjoyed the beautiful ocean view.

"This is heaven," I said, leaning back into the cushion and feeling my eyelids fall down.

"Isn't it?" He also sighed. "Should I buy property here?"

I didn't open my eyes but allowed myself to continue with the conversation. "Only if I get to use it when you're not."

I heard him chuckle softly. "I think I'd rather you enjoy it with me."

Holy hell.

I cleared my throat, feeling flustered once again. "Is that so?"

"Obviously, I'd want my favorite person to come join me. I don't plan on vacationing here alone," He said.

I couldn't help it. I opened one eye and looked at his direction to find him already staring at me. "Your favorite person?"

"You act like it's a surprise," He smiled, sipping on his champagne.