Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I began writing at an early stage.

My dad was my all-time hero, being a household name at the Times. He captivated his audiences with illustrations and scenes he created with his words. His descriptions were in such vivid detail, it didn't take much imagination to formulate the events he was reporting about.

This was a lesson he passed down to me. Everything had to be written about down to the most minute detail.

While I'm all for the details, there also needs to be truth behind them. My dad wouldn't have gone through so much research and depth if the events never actually happened. Writers were never liars. But if there's one thing that I've learned in this industry, it's that a good writer can turn nothing into a story. They can turn a blank piece of paper into a novel. They can turn a rock into a masterpiece.

They can turn a harmless date of fun and adventure into another bag of assumptions and lies.

As a writer, you tell the story of someone else's life. However, when it's your life that being told as a story for everyone in the world to read about, you're not as kind to a writer's perspective on things. After Forward, I felt my life completely exposed to the entire world to see.

Now, it was happening all over again because the paparazzi had followed me and Nate all day yesterday. Some were sneaky about it, some were obvious about it.

But you know what?

I don't even care.

"...could these two be any more scandalous? After an alleged day spent together exploring the island or Aruba, going on daring outdoor adventures together, it seems that a certain individual in publishing royalty and a beloved writer from the New Yorker continue to make headlines as the most popular couple this week. What was supposed to be a month-long writer's retreat has now turned into a hot and steamy escape we've all been waiting to happen. One source claims that the pair has been skipping out on retreat activities to sneak off in hopes of spending quality time with each other. Did the heir to an empire throw a lavish retreat as a cover up for their affair? They thought they were being subtle but don't forget it - we've got eyes everywhere. More to come!"

"They make it sound like you guys are playing hooky at school," Nicole commented once Bessa was finished reading.

"An affair? Neither of them are even with other people. If they're going to talk shit, they can at least get their facts straight," Ricky scoffed.

"Does anyone know where the ice machine is?" Tony asked, holding up a bottle of orange juice and an empty cup

"This article is a piece of trash," Bessa said as she threw her phone onto the bed.

"Avery is such an amatuer," Ricky rolled his eyes. "My thirteen year old niece could have written something better and she would have actually done her research."

Nicole sighed and flipped her hair. "Avery is just sad that she wasn't offered that job at People magazine and is now writing shitty articles about everyone at this retreat. Like, move on. Did you see what she wrote about Ginger Pierce from Sea and Sky?"

"Ice machine? Anyone?" Tony repeated looking at the three of them.

Ricky nodded at Nicole. "Yeah, and I'm on the same floor as Ginger and not once have I ever seen her smuggle cocaine into the hotel."

Bessa gasped. "I thought that article was about Lucas from Rolling Stones?"

"No, his was about prostitutes," Ricky corrected.

"Then who was the one with the pregnancy about?" Bessa frown in confusion.

"Mia Dang," the both of them answered in unison.