Epilogue

One Year Later

"Haley, are you ready? We are not having a repeat of two years ago and showing up to the EPAA Awards late again!" Nicole banged on my closet door.

I was slipping on a pair of strappy black heels that went perfectly with my beautiful red dress. Since it's been two years since I attended the EPAA Gala, I figured I'd pay tribute to that first fateful night wearing the same color as I had the night that changed my life forever.

This year, I was rocking Dolce and Gabbana. I had chosen the dress from Barney's when me and the girls went dress shopping a month ago, along with Sarah who had convinced me that this halter top neckline with the tight waist and pleated skirt was the most flattering dress I had ever worn. Staring back in the mirror now, I couldn't agree more. My hair was parted to thie side, the short part clipped back and the longer side in waves, dripping down my shoulder like a waterfall. I had on red lipstick, winged liner, and just a hint of blush on my cheeks.

I was the type of person who looked better with less makeup. Staring at my reflection now, I believed that more than ever. I stood up and got ready to join my friends outside.

But something caught my eye at first.

Up at the top, above my vanity on a singular white shelf, were my Mary Jane heels, untouched, but shining like a beacon of life. Every time I looked at them, I smiled with complete pride because the girl who used to wear those would be unbelievably proud of the woman she turned into.

I would never forget her determination to live the greatest life and so far, I was making it happen.

"I'm ready!" I emerged from my closet and out to my room where Bessa, Nicole, and Ricky were sitting idly on my bed.

"Work it, mama!" Ricky snapped his fingers, looking dapper in his jacquard Tom Ford suit. "I can't wait to make a collage and post our fab four pictures everywhere."

"Let's take one right now," I excitedly said, rushing to join them on the bed. We posed for a selfie on Ricky's phone and right after, he was immediately sending it to all of us in our group chat.

"We are literally going to be the hottest writers at this goddamn Gala," Nicole said, admiring our picture on her phone.

"Hey, hon?" Adorably, Steve poked his head through the door. "Sorry to interrupt, but where did you put my jacket?"

"Oh, I put it in the coat closet next to the front door, babe," She smiled at him. He winked at her and she blew him a kiss before he shut the door.

Bessa, Ricky, and I looked at each other with the same grin.

Nicole was like a completely different person now that she and Steve were officially a couple. I had always called it, but I knew Steve was going to be the guy to bring out the heart in Nicole. And like I also had predicted, Nicole was a lover when she was in a relationship.

Right after we got back from Aruba, Steve was ready and waiting at our doorstep to greet Nicole back home with a bouquet of roses. I was initially surprised that he was there because she hadn't mentioned him much during the trip, but when she later confessed that she had spent the entire month in Aruba texting and FaceTiming him in secret, it all made sense. The reason why she had tried so hard to make a show of flirting and hooking up with other guys there was because she wanted to cover up that she was secretly falling in love for Steve, someone she had always claimed, wasn't her type.

Those are usually the ones we fall for though, aren't they?

Of course, after me and Ricky had ridiculed her for weeks on end for turning out to be the biggest romantic in the world, we both felt nothing but complete happiness for her. She wasn't as snappy with an attitude as she used to be. She still had an ego the size of Russia and never let a good comeback slide, but they weren't as consistent as they used to be.