Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I woke up early the next morning to a text message from Nate.

Are you down to play hooky today?

Confused, I replied back.

What do you mean?

Suddenly, there was a light knock at our door.

I quickly turned to Nicole's bed to see her completely unbothered.

Of course. This girl could sleep through a zombie apocalypse.

Hastily, I threw on one of the hotel issued bathrobes over my pajamas and headed straight for the door. Through the keyhole, I saw Nate smiling directly at me.

Good morning indeed.

I slowly opened the door, stepping into the hallway with him allowing one foot propped against the edge of the door to keep it open.

"What are you doing here?" I asked through my smile. "Have you been waiting here all morning?"

He leaned in close and greeted me with a kiss. I quietly moaned in delight, letting my hands graze his chest. This was a great way to start the day.

"First of all, good morning," He said once he pulled back.

"Great morning if you ask me," I answered with my eyes still closed. "You're not worried about anyone seeing us out in the hallway?"

"Are you?" He challenged.

"No," I answered immediately.

"That's what I thought," He said, lowering his head and proceeding to whisper, "Ditch all the seminars you signed up for and spend the day with me?"

I bit my lip. The idea of that was so exhilarating but I didn't want to make it that easy for him. "I'm sorry mister Chester but I'm afraid my schedule today is completely booked. You should have made an appointment ahead of time."

A sly smile came over his face, itching a warmth to crawl over mine. "Is that how it is?"

I playfully crossed my arms. "It is."

He drew in his breath and let his shoulders slump. "Well, miss Monroe, I apologize for the late notice but this is a matter of life and death. I'm afraid I can't wait for your next appointment."

The look in his eyes were enough for me to cave in. "I guess I could make an exception for you. At the right price, of course."

He raised a curious brow. "And what will this cost me, exactly?"

I smiled, holding up my pinky at him. "Two things. First, a promise that no matter what happens, we do what we want to be happy."

Nate's shoulders relaxed, a more serious look on his face now staring back at me. However, the corners of his mouth were still tugging a smile. He wrapped his finger around mine. "Absolutely. And second?"

I went on tip toes and raised my mouth to his ear and whispered, "We go to your room for dessert before breakfast?"

He wrapped an arm around my waist. "Jesus, yes Monroe."

"Then I guess we have a deal."

________________________________

"Nate, is this the part where you lead me to a deserted hut and burn me alive?" I asked, half-jokingly.

He laughed with the shake of his head. "If I had the intention of killing you, I would have done it a long time ago."

I narrowed my eyes. As if that was supposed to ease my discomfort. After spending a passionate morning in his hotel room and an early breakfast on the restaurant terrace, an old-fashioned Jeep awaited us outside the hotel lobby. My heart pumped with excitement - I was more than ready for an adventure after years of being dedicated to work. I hadn't allowed myself much time for travel because I had been focused on proving myself after what happened at Forward, so now that I'd finally be able to do something adventurous with Nate, I couldn't be happier.