Chapter 16

Chapter 16

The doors to the elevator slid open and the first person I saw standing there waiting for us was the same person I was in no mood to see.

Nate.

"Oh, thank God. You're both alive. I was a bit worried there for a second," Nate nervously chuckled.

Next to him seemed to be an electrician, and behind both, was the hotel manager. I quickly rose to my feet, avoiding eye contact with Chelsea, and bolted out of that elevator.

I mumbled my appreciation to the guys who stared at me with worried eyes, but I didn't stop walking away. I had no idea where to go, if I was even headed towards the right direction of an exit, the only thing solid in my mind was that I needed to get out of there, away from Nate and Chelsea.

Nate and Chelsea.

Nate and Chelsea.

This shouldn't bother me at all. First of all, me and Nate aren't even together. He's a free man allowed to do whatever hell he wants. We hadn't even had a real conversation in the last three years, he didn't owe me anything. Two, Chelsea was also a free woman. I shouldn't be judging her for giving into her needs when I had done the absolute same thing. Plus, who could resist Nate? I didn't put it past her to throw herself onto him. Third, didn't Nate and I confirm the absence of any feelings the night we hooked up? And lastly, we hooked up. Just sex. No emotions or strings attached. I was no better than either of them in that sense.

But despite all the reasons that I shouldn't let this bother me, it still hurt like a bitch. My insides were on fire and I was finding it harder and harder to breathe. I was trying to keep my composure and wait until I was in the safety of my room before I started bawling my eyes out, but when I found an exit door to the stair case, I let all hell break loose. I was sobbing, my chokes echoing in the empty space, slumping down on the top of the stairs and leaning against the handrail.

I don't know why it hurt. Maybe because Chelsea had somewhat clarified the truth of what she'd done? Maybe because Nate had chosen to sleep with her knowing that fact? Maybe because I had always expected him to be loyal to me and this felt like betrayal? Maybe because part of me felt as if he hid this from me?

Yet, why would Nate have to tell me? It was his personal life and his business. He didn't have to confess anything to me, just like I certainly hadn't told him every little thing I had done in the past three years.

My cell phone began to ring.

I wiped away my tears and brushed my bruised pride off to the side and answered it.

"Hello?" I managed to choke out.

"Where are you? I thought you were going to get us a spot by the bar?"

Nicole.

I had completely forgotten about them.

I cleared my throat and tried to sound as normal as possible. "I got stuck in the elevator with Chelsea, had to get rescued by Nate and a bunch of other people-"

I heard Ricky gasp over the phone. "Did she just say Chelsea?"

"Wait, Haley, shut up! Did you drag that bitch to the ground? I swear, if that was me, I'd-"

I didn't want to be reminded more about it so I cut Nicole off. "Where are you? I'm headed to the pool now."

"We managed to steal a spot by the jacuzzi. You better hurry - there are some hot guys from Maxim that are totally checking us out," Nicole said excitedly.

The last thing I wanted to do right now was flirt with anyone. Not when my stomach was in knots and my mind was clouded.

"You know what? I'm not really feeling up for that," I sighed, getting up to turn around and head back towards the exit of the stair case. What I really wanted to do was lie down, sleep away my problems, and wake up in New York far away from this island.