Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"I'll have a single scoop vanilla in a sugar cone and she'll have a scoop of rocky road in a cup."

Kevin's spot on order took me by surprise.

"I can't believe you remember my ice cream order," I told him.

"Haley, everyone knows your ice cream order," Tony piped in behind us.

I gave Tony a smug look. "I wasn't talking to you, okay?"

"But he is right," Kevin backed him up while handing the cashier a few bills for our ice cream. "I've never seen you eat any other ice cream flavor. You even asked the waiter at Olive Garden if they had Rocky Road like they were a Ben and Jerry's."

"She just knows what she likes, nothing wrong with that," Bessa came to my rescue.

"I appreciate you," I blew her a kiss.

"We'll take two mint chocolate chips in waffle cones please," Tony ordered and then proceeded to pay once they received their scoops.

"Ice cream seems to taste better in Aruba, doesn't it?" Bessa asked after licking her ice cream to keep it from dripping down the cone.

"I can't deny how rich this chocolate is," I said, savoring my own ice cream.

Kevin smiled at us. "I'm glad we could all go out today's I feel like we haven't been spent as much time together as I thought we would."

Immediately, I was heavy with guilt. I had been wrapped up in my own world with Nate and making new friends, that I hadn't allotted enough time for my original group of favorite people.

"What are you talking about? I see you every damn day," Tony argued.

"That's only because we don't have a choice. We're roommates," Kevin rolled his eyes. "And I don't exactly enjoy being around that much when you already piss me off to begin with."

"You keep acting like you hate me when I know you love me more than anything else in this world," Tony said with a mouth full of ice cream.

"Let's try and act a little more civilized today, babe," Bessa giggled as she wiped the side of Tony's dribbling mouth with a napkin.

"Not possible," Tony mumbled. "So, are we going to avoid the question that's burning a hot flame in all our minds?"

I raised a brow at him. "And what question it that?"

"What's going on between you and Nate?"

The four of us stopped in our tracks and all eyes were now on me. I stared back, each of them with expectant looks on their faces, and realized that I actually had to think about what Nate and I were before answering.

Friends? Lovers? There was no need to over complicate things.

"I...guess we're dating," I replied slowly.

Close enough.

"About damn time," Tony huffed.

Kevin didn't seem bothered by it at all, which was actually a relief. "Agreed. We knew this was coming."

"I think y'all are endgame," Bessa nodded her head along.

I smiled at her. "I wouldn't go that far, but for now I'm pretty happy. I don't want to think too hard about defining what we are - I want to focus on having fun."

"The sex is good then?" Tony asked.

"Amazing, actually," I didn't hesitate.

Bessa high fives me. "Good job girl. Proud of you."