Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Nicole grunted as she plopped down on top of her suitcase in an attempt to zip it close. "Who in their right mind decided that they'd only let us check in one luggage for an entire month in Aruba?"

I laughed at the sight of her light cheeks flushing with red and the bangs on her forehead bouncing with every movement. "Nikki, we're going to an island during summer season. All you need are a bunch of shorts and tank tops. How much did you pack?"

"Shorts and tank tops! And a few skirt, and dresses, and some pants in case it gets cold, a few light jackets, bathing suits of course, sandals, sneakers in case I want to get a workout in, wedges and heels for fancy dinners, and I haven't even thought about all the makeup-"

"Okay, you are the definition of an over packer and I'm a bit concerned for you," I chortled. 

She blew air from her puckered lips that caused her bangs to fly away from her forehead. "Then maybe you could get your ass down here and help me?"

I giggled, coming to her rescue and sitting on top of the suitcase with her. Our weight was enough to successfully bring both zippers together and Nicole secured it with a lock.

"There! Now you just have to stuff everything else on your carry on."

"If I don't fit everything, don't be surprised to find a few pairs of heels in your suitcase," She gave me a hopeful look.

I rolled my eyes but laughed. "Sure. I don't doubt there'll be extra room in mine. I'm going to try and focus less on appearances and more on writing during this retreat."

"Right," She pursed her lips.

"What?" I asked when she turned her head the other way.

She shrugged, rising up from the suitcase. "Nothing."

I hopped onto my feet with her. "Nikki, what?"

"It's just...hard for me to imagine you not caring about appearances," She hesitated.

"Why? You know I've never been flashy and extravagant with my sense of fashion."

"Oh, I know that," She said to which I smirked in response. "But if I were in your shoes, knowing that both my ex-lovers are going to be at the same retreat at the same time, I think I'd be a little bit more self-aware of what I-"

"Wait," I raised a hand to her. "Ex-lovers? What are you talking about?"

"What do you mean, what am I talking about? You know exactly what I'm talking about."

"No, actually, I don't," I argued.

She scrunched her eyebrows. "Did you read the invitation?"

"Of course I did."

"Did you read the back?" She asked, grabbing one of the invitations laid out on our kitchen counter.

"The back?" I repeated, flipping over the intricately designed cover. As Nicole implied, there was another set of calligraphy printed on the backside of the invitation. "This year's Writers Retreat will be hosted by EPAA Award Winning Magazine, Forward. Direction of Retreat will be run by - shut up," I gasped before my lips could utter the name my eyes had just read.

"Yeah..." Nicole trailed, biting her lip to keep from smiling.

"Nate Chester?" I shrieked louder than I had intended.

"Now do you understand why I'd care a little bit more about my appearance?" She asked delicately.

"What? Nate's going to be there?" I shrieked again.