Chapter 12 [EDITED]

The car ride was quiet, only a soft hum of music taking control, and I was unsurprised by Carson's choice of music. Of course he listened to The Beatles. 

There was a small drugstore a few minutes from the neighborhood we lived in, and by the amount of traffic going in and out of the door, it was pretty clear it was flu season. I eyed the girl scout table out front suspiciously and tried to avoid eye contact. The little shits always made me feel guilty.

We headed into the store, grabbing a small basket on the way. I stepped off into the medicine section, grabbing the supplies needed to kick a cold in the butt, as Carson did whatever he did with the basket.

I decided to grab some cough drops for him as well as some ice cream. I was juggling a few things in my hands when Carson found me again. He had some sort of pastry in the basket, causing me to raise my eyebrow questioningly.

"It's his favorite." He offered as an explanation, and I quickly dumped my items into the basket, trying painfully to ignore his muscles flexing slightly as the basket got heavier. I shifted my eyes to the stained linoleum.

When we got to checkout, Carson swiftly paid for the items before I had a chance to object. Throwing him a grateful look, I grabbed a handful of bags and stood patiently as the transaction finished. Grabbing the remaining bags, we stepped outside and were immediately greeted by a vicious clan of ten year olds. 

"Would you like to buy some girl scout cookies?" 

The smallest girl smiled up at us. Her eyes bugged out through her large glasses, and her orange pigtails trailed down her back. Tossing us a crooked-tooth smile, I realized she knew exactly what she was doing. 

As Carson pulled his wallet out again, her eyes shimmered with satisfaction. I nearly opened my mouth to object to him buying them, but realized that was nearly a form of bullying, and decided against it.

Hitting my arm lightly, Carson looked over at me. "What do you want?"

"Oh," I paused. "I'm okay, thanks though."

He rolled his eyes. "Shut up, what do you want?"

I pursed my lips a little bit trying to decide what to do, but as I leaned over a bit to see what goods the girls had behind the table, I decided that Carson could pay for the trauma he's caused me since I've moved here. "I'll take some Tagalongs."

I was handed a look from Carson, and decided to throw in a smile. "Pretty please."

His own lips quirking up, he handed the small girl some cash in exchange for the box of cookies.