Chapter 17

Once we were inside the car, the tension was thicker than ever, and sadly we didn't have a bubbly, and very distracting, Jake bouncing around, lighting up the atmosphere. He was still passed out, taking up the whole backseat with his wide frame.

   "Mia, we can't tell Jake," Carson said, which caused me to look at him.

   "Why not? He already knows about my dad.."

    "Just... It's not my- Just trust me." He sighed.

   I scoff, "Trust you? I barely know you Carson."

   Carson doesn't reply, until we pull up to a red light, where he turns in his seat to look at me. "But you blindly trusted my brother?" His voice sounding lighter than usual.

  "Well," I said, trailing off, not knowing how to answer. I guess Car took this as a yes, and narrowed his eyes, turning back to the road. "Carson, maybe that's why."

  "What do you mean?" He snaps.

   "I don't trust Colton."

    "But-" I cut him off.

     "I used to trust him, Carson. So much, but now? I barely remember his smile."

     ~

    However, in the end, I did decide to not tell Jake. I wasn't happy, considering Jake was one of my closest friends, but Carson doesn't ask much of me, so I was positive he was being serious for a good reason.

   So when Jake woke up, I told him it was just a stupid prank. As soon as I lied straight through my teeth, I notice Carson glance over at me, brows furrowed. I can't blame him, that lie sounded like the truth, even to my own petty ears.

  "God, I better not find the jerk that did this to you, because whatever sick bastard thinks it's okay to do this, is gonna have to deal with all thi- wait, do you know who it was?"

   "NO, of course not Jakey!" I said, shrugging. "But it's okay, this isn't the first time, it won't be the last."

   "Has it happened since you moved here?" Jake asked calmly.

    I nod, "Twice, but it's okay. Like I said, it's happened before, it will happen again."

    "No, it wont." Snarled Carson, which surprised Jake and even me. I felt Carson's eyes on me, "It won't be happening again.. not while we're around, not while i'm around."

   The double meaning of his words hit me hard.

   You're not alone in this anymore Mia.

~

  "I think we need to talk," I told Colton as he walked through the front door of his home.

   I've been here, with Carson and Jake of course, for the past couple of hours, trying to think about what could've possibly caused Colton to act this way. Eventually, I gave up deciding it would just be best to talk it out with him.

   He frowned. "Are you sure that you have time?"

    I stood up, and Jake's eyes followed me to the door, where he silently watched the conversation. "What do you mean?" I asked, confused. I've always given Colton a large amount of attention, up until this fight.

  "I mean, with all the guys you've been banging behind my back, I figured you wouldn't have time for your boyfriend," He rolled his eyes, and mumbled something.