Chapter 16

"This isn't your fathers. This is mine. How dare you insult me as if I'm a thief!"

    "That is one of a kind."

   "If it is your fathers them all be damned, when he comes to get you, along with the police, I'll be sure to return it."

  "My father is dead."

   "Well then, I'm very sorry for-" the man paused and eyed me once more, unsure and wary. "Sally, turn the lights on."

    "Jeff, I still haven't called the cops."

   "Sally do it."

    Sally rushed towards the light fixture, looking oddly calm. But as soon as the lights clicked on, she gasped.

    "Mia!"

   "How do you know my name?"

    "We're old friends."

     "Not mine,"

    "Mia, we know your father."

     "Everyone knew my father, it's a small town."

     "We were all best friends, we even lived with your dad and mom for while, when times were hard."

     I shook my head. "I can't remember you."

     "Ali you were young, four or five maybe." Sally looked at me sadly. "How is your mom?"

     "She's okay, I guess. I don't see her much anymore." I pause. "Wait, why did you guys climb in through the window?"

   I mean, if it was their house,  it was very odd that they would come in through the window.

    "Front door was open, and well, as you know, this business is pretty risky, and I wanted to make sure that no one was ins-"

 "'This business?" I questioned. My dad worked for factory building machines to help big companies. That wasn't risky, it shouldn't be.

  Sally and Jeff glanced at each other. "He never told you?"

  "Obviously not." I snapped annoyed. If he would've told me, I wouldn't of questioned what it was.

 "What did your father do for work?"

  "He worked at a factory building machines.. but I can tell by your faces, I'm wrong."

   "Mia,  why don't we sit down." I cast a look over my shoulder towards Carson, but he just nodded at me, and put his finger over his lips, as to say "don't tell".

   Sally smiled first, and began talking. "What we are about to tell you, shouldn't change how you view your father. Everything he did he did to protect you. He was there as much as he could be, but in the end he shouldn't of had to go like he did, and I'm very sorry for that,

    "But he did have to lie, a lot. You said he told you that he worked in a factory building machines. That wasn't a total lie, that is where he was working until Sam found him, and gave him the offer the rest of us were given. And I know, I'm being so cryptic, but it is best for your safety." 

   Before she could continue, my phone started buzzing. Carson was calling.

  "It's my mom," I said trailing off.

  "Go ahead and take it." Jeff said, smiling warmly. "But if possible refrain from telling her about you being with us."

  I nodded, and slid over to answer the call.

  "Hey mom."

   "Geez princess, we're already to the kinky names?"

   "Shut up," I said laughing.

   Car tsked at me. "That's no way to talk to your mother."

  "Sorry Mom," I replied, remembering I was supposed to be talking to her.

  "Its okay Mia,"  Carson said mockingly. His tone grew serious though. "Are you okay? This is a lot to take in.."

  "I'm fine, I promise ma."

  "Maybe you should come back tomorrow."

   I looked around. The house wasn't going to vanish, but the people might. "I'm not sure."

   I heard him sigh. "Mia its time to come home."

  Rolling my eyes, I agreed. "Okay, but if the hotdogs aren't here tomorrow, I'm not gonna be a happy camper mom."

   I felt him smirk. "I have a hotdog you could have."

   I laughed again, "Bye mom, see you in a few."

   "Bye Mia, wait I love you."

    I choked, shit that's right. Mom. "L-love you too Mom."

   I heard him laughing faintly, but not through the phone. Oh fuck me he's right outside.

   "Hey, I'm sorry mom really wants me home, like right now. Can I come back tomorrow?"

    They agreed and nodded and told me whatever time would work for me would work for them. Surprisingly, as I was leaving Jeff pulled me in for a hug.  

As I was walking out, I panicked for a moment, for the truck was not where I left it. Thankfully, Carson stepped out from around the side of the house, and gestured for me to follow him.

 The truck was pulled off the road to the side, and Jake was asleep in the backseat. Real good watchdog.

  As I was hopping into the truck, my leg slipped, but lucky me, Carson was there to push me back up into he car. If only his hands weren't on my ass.

  "Stupid Pig."

   "Mommy's girl." He said with a smirk/