Chapter 20

It wasn't until fourth hour that I saw Mark, his bloody and beaten face scaring me enough that I dropped my books in the hallway. He looked as if he lost a battle with a MMA fighter on lsd and bath salts. As he walked past, I said his name, but when he looked over at me, he flinched, and walked away as if I had shocked him.

   I blushed, and grabbed my books, storming into my fourth hour, where Jake was sitting, smiling at his phone. "Where is Colton?"

  Jake smirked, but when he looked up, he saw my angry face, and stopped smiling. "Why?"

   "Where is he?" I asked slowly, through clenched teeth.  Jake swallowed, and told me Colton was in the library. Throwing my bag on my chair, I told the teacher I would be back, just count me tardy, and then I went to the library.

   To be honest, reading is not my forte, but even I had to admire the schools library. Apparently, like five years ago, some kid with rich parents donated thousands of dollars to the library, so they were able to get new computers, and re-do it, not to mention restore a lot of the old books, and gain new ones. That's probably why Col spent his free time here. It was beautiful, calm, and had an environment that made you want to be like a noble prize winner or something cheesy like that.

  Eventually, I found Colton sitting at a table in the back, silently working on the chem homework, scribbling furiously, but stopping every now and then to look at the textbook. Sitting down, he didn't notice me, so I cleared my throat, and he looked up at me, smiling. "Hey babe, what's up?"

  "Oh, nothing. I was just on my way to my fourth hour, when I bumped into my buddy Mark. And immediately, I just thought of my wonderful boyfriend who promised to me that he wouldn't lay a hand on him."

 Col grimaced, but looked at me in the eye still. "I didn't." He glanced down at his homework.

  I crossed my arms and leaned back in my seat, "I only told you,"

  Colton scowled. "Do you honestly think I would go around telling your secrets Mia?"  It was his turn to cross his arms. "Mark is on the football team, and you probably weren't the only person Mark saw last night while he was drunk. Mia, it probably isn't even about you."

  I blushed. I never even considered that. "God, I feel like such a bitch, I'm sorry Col." It wasn't his fault Mark was the way his was, and as long as that was the truth I was okay. "I shouldn't of assumed anything."

   Shaking his head, he replied, "It's alright Mia, I just really don't like it when people question my loyalty." I nodded, and told him I had to get back to class, as I was leaving, I passed the librarian, who gave me a dirty look for not having a pass, which made me walk a little faster.

~

 "All I'm saying is, if we were to form a band, what would our name be?"

   I laughed. "Not that we would, but if we did, I don't know, um, ChemHeads for lyfe?" I joked, with my chem partner, Jennifer.

   She laughed, and walked with me to lunch. "Hey, so what's up with you and the Miller brothers?"

  "Well I'm dating Col, and Car-" I started, but she cut me off. "I thought you were dating Carson?"

  "Oh, no. We're just friends, if you could even call us that."

   Jennifer shrugged, and we said goodbye as she went to her lunch, table and I went to mine. Originally, at Emma's table it had just been her, Thomas, Sami, and George. Now, however, it was that whole gang, plus me, Carson, Jake, and a girl named Sophie, who was dating George. Kelly and Colton would be sitting with us, except Colton is in the next lunch, and Kelly got moved halfway through the semester to the last lunch.