Culinaria L'amore Chapter Eight

Hey guys! Do enjoy!

Vote Vote VOTE!!!

~~Infatuated

********************

"Hey, Kirsten. Hello?"

My head jerked up as I looked tiredly at Garrett who sat across from me, a small frown marring his perfect features. "Have you decided what you want yet? Or do you need more time?"

I sighed, looking down at the slightly oily green menu in my hands. Realizing that I had just been about to fall asleep, I shook my head. "Yeah I'm ready. Sorry for zoning out. I'm a bit tired."

"I understand but um Kirsten, what do you want to eat?" He muttered, shifting a bit uncomfortably in his seat.

I mentally groaned, realizing that I had just stared blankly at the menu and hadn't bothered choosing a dish. "Um... I'll just get the lemon pepper chicken."

Garrett nodded and signaled our waiter over. After ordering for the both of us, he leaned forward with a sympathetic expression and muttered, "long night?"

"Yep, my friend's incessant babbling kept me up. She has this high tolerance for sleep deprivation." I replied, unfolding my napkin and placing it on my legs.

We didn't say much after that, him nodding quietly and looking out the window that faced the green, deciduous forest and me staring intently at my hands until he blurted, "does your hand still hurt?"

I shook my head no. "The bleeding's stopped but it just hurts really bad when I bend my finger too much. Not a big deal though. I'm not a damsel in distress and I sure don't need you to be a knight in shining armour."

Garrett gave me a smile, his lips curving up pleasantly. "Sure... whatever you say."

He took my hand that lay on the table and gently peeled off my gauze. What he saw obviously disturbed him. "God, Kirsten, who took care of you? This wound was obviously severe and now it looks like your hand is rotting. The person that treated this must not have any common sense."

My temper flared. "Well for your information Mr. Know it All, I actually bandaged my own hand."

"Well you didn't do that great of a job." He muttered just as hotly. " It's just it looks pretty ugly. Stop by after school and I'll rebandage you up. You'll be needing a new one every few hours. I'll have to stay after school to prepare some things so you will probably have to get a ride from my dad or James."

I stared at Garrett's face until he looked up and saw me watching him.

"What?"

"Why are you being so nice to me now? I thought you were some spoiled douche who didn't give a crap about other peoples feelings."

I could see his jaw harden as I said this words and right when I thought he wouldn't reply, he dropped my hand onto the table, he muttered softly, "Like I've said before Kirsten, never judge a book by its cover. How long have you known me?" He answered his own question. "One month. Does that seem like a long enough time to be saying those statements?" He paused, "And if you really want to know, I'm only like that to the people that deserve it."

Pain flashed in his eyes but I ignored it. The unopened and unread People magazine in my bag came into my mind and I thought, 'I may not know your secrets now but I'll soon find out.'

Just then, our food arrived and we ate in silence.

*********************

I stared at the mess I made, heaving a loud and frustrated sigh before taking up my knife and quickly chopping some more green onions. Mr. Whitson, the aged Cultural Oriental teacher, had already decided to assign homework. Within the first ten minutes of trying create little dumplings out of thin slices of dough, I had wasted a pound of lamb meat, two slices of ginger, all of the dough he had provided for us, and my patience.