Culinaria L'amore Chapter Thirty

VOTE!

When I finally stopped crying, blowing my nose on one of Harrison's tissues, the brunette just rubbed my back and waited for my sob fest to finally finish.

"God, Kirsten, I'm so sorry for everything that has happened to you in the past week. Does your side hurt right now?"

Good ol' Harrison, always working on the trivial things first before moving on to the reality TV impersonation part of my life.

"It's a lot better." I replied shakily, brushing my hair out of my face and patting Simbah on the head who had hopped from the back seat into Harrison's leg.

Instead of what I had expected from Harrison, an uncomfortable silence, awkwardness, and apathy, he seemed to really care about my well being.

"I'm sorry, I'm such a mess right now."

Harrison's blue eyes widened and his expression turned stricken as he wiped away another tear from my cheek with the pad of his thumb.

"Remember what I told you at the Halloween party before I left? If you ever need me, I'll be here waiting. And I'm not talking about the whole romantic relationship dilemma I have going on. I mean if you ever need a hug or a shrink to talk to, I'm your man."

I grinned and ruffled the top of Harrison's hair. "What's this about a whole relationship dilemma?"

Harrison mock groaned trying to reorganize his hair. "I give you a whole speel on being there for you and all you pick up is my relationship issues?

"Trust me, I heard everything else. And I thank you for that. But don't stray off the topic. Who's the lucky girl?"

His grin turned into more of a grimace as he muttered, "Well this doesn't seem like the most opportune time to confess me liking her after she just confessed to me her former proscriptive relationship with another guy."

My eyes widened as realization hit me like a stack of bricks. "Oh shit, Harrison, I didn't mean to throw you into all of this and- Oh God, I feel so guilty now. I'm such a bad person and-"

I buried my head into my hands, leaning into my seat and away from him.

"Hey, hey, it's alright. I really don't mind. Now that I know you're single, I'll just wait until you're ready."

"It's not just that." I whispered, staring listless ahead as some of the Waggin' Tail workers chased down a black Rottweiler. "I feel guilty because I liked Garrett so shouldn't I wait until I move on to another guy that I really, really like?"

Harrison's eyes widened with glee and I realized my mistake. "You like me back?"

"Well yes, but that's beside the point."

"Well explain what the point is beside the girl that I really like likes me back?"

"The fact that I also like Garrett! I can't string you along with all your hopes and dreams while I get over another guy. It makes me feel so selfish and horrible. It feels like I'm a needy brat who wants everything! Garrett and I, well it's complicated, and with you it's so much easier. Do you understand?"

Harrison grasped my shoulders and pulled me into a long hug, rubbing my back as I clutched the back of him neck, too tired to cry any longer.

"Let's keep talking when we go have a snack okay? I don't want the Waggin' Tail lady to yell at me for public displays of affection. My back stings from where she hit me with a wet towel. Old people, I tell you. Can't appreciate a nice body when they come across one."

I giggled and stuck Simbah in the back again, petting him one more time before starting the engine of the Mercedes and watching Harrison get out of my car and head to his.