Culinaria L'amore Chapter Thirty-Four

Hey guys! Sorry for not uploading! There was this huge wildfire next to my area so I haven't been able to write! But please enjoy this short chapter and enter the Kirsten's B-Day Party Writing contest, details found on the previous chapter!

<3 Infatuated

********************

"Hey guys! Thanks so much for stopping by and supporting my teammate and my attempt at clinching the ICAF award. I know some of you might be here just to skip class but I can guarantee those who are actually interested entertainment and some cooking tips."

"Yeah, entertainment. Like me upchucking all over the floor." I muttered quietly to Angela who in return just shook her head and giggled. Wiping my sweaty palms on my apron and rearranging my messy bun so that all the strands were away from my face, I zoned out of Garrett's speech about hard work and diligence. When a loud roar finally erupted from the crowd and Angela nudged me out of my daze, the three of us stepped onto the stage.

Blinded by the bright lights aimed directly at me, I immediately took notice of the makeshift kitchen that had been set up on the stage. There were four miniature stations equipped with a round top stove, a sink, and a chopping board. Off to the side, a table with an assortment of meats, cheeses, vegetables, and spices awaited us. Taking a deep breath, I plastered a smile onto my face, my grin widening as Amelia and the rest of my friends hooted and screamed my name as if this was some pageant.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Alonzo gulp nervously and Angela's hand shake, neither of which managed to ease my nerves. Sure we had practiced, and sure this crowd was nothing compared to the real competition, but at this second, I felt incompetent compared to the snogging couple or Garrett's nonchalance when it came to whipping up a tasty dish. Who was I kidding? I was nothing in comparison. The only experience I had under my belt was years of cooking at a French restaurant and memorizing cookbook recipes.

Before I had the chance of running off the stage, Garrett's voice snapped me out of my mental debate.

"What we will be presenting to you will be something similar to the International Culinary Arts Festival so I hope you enjoy the show. Simon, if you would please."

An elderly man ran up onto the stage carrying a bag in his hands. Gulping at the familiar object, I crossed my finger and hoped that we wouldn't get something impossible like caviar or Chinese red bean soup.

Garrett put his hand into the bag, rummaging around and with a hesitant pause, pulled out two smaller bags. Handing one to Alonzo, they opened up the bags almost simultaneously and the breath I hadn't realized that I had been holding escaped from my chest in relief when I saw salmon and cilantro removed. Salmon and cilantro were easy; fish eggs were not.

Simon fished out three more sheets of paper from his bag before reading into the microphone, "Two lunch entrées and one dinner entrée. You have one and a half hours. Go."

Jogging over to where Angela and I stood respectfully Garrett rubbed his hands together with a knowing gleam in his excited grey eyes, the happy look on his face obviously not aimed for me because of the rude comment I had made earlier about him and Mira.

"Okay guys. Here's the plan. I just finished a recipe for a spicy curry salmon egg wrap which would fit the theme great since cilantro is an ingredient in the wrap. Alonzo, how about that famous salmon on rye sandwich with your cilantro butter cream? After those are near completion we'll work together on a salted almond salmon with an Italian cilantro salad? How does that game plan sound?"

When none of us complained, Garrett grinned, his teeth flashing in the bright light. "Awesome. Then Angela can you go smoke the salmon and roast the almonds then go help out with Alonzo?" When she nodded, Garrett turned to me and visibly, his smile faded.