Culinaria L'amore Chapter Twenty

Please vote? Please?

<3 Infatuated

********************

"So, Mrs Bianchi, can you imgaine what I thought when this animal came barreling towards me? Good god, I had heart palpitations for a week after that summer trip."

Yivannia smiled at Toben, unaffected by his wild tales or massive hand gestures. She cut another piece of asparagus and chewed elegantly, swallowing before she replied to Toben. "It sounds like you were having a marvelous time during the summer."

"Yeah dude, while I was stuck getting my teacher's permit." Garrett interjected. Automatically I could see Mr. Bianchi stiffen but Garrett only continued cheerfully, "Oh well, at least I didn't get heart palpitations while grading papers.

I raised my eyebrows at the lack of sarcasm in Garrett's words. After we had gotten home from L'amore, he had been in a much more pleasant mood than just two days ago. Gone was the sarcasm and crude comments aimed at him parents. Instead, he was nice to everyone.

Toben cleared his throat. "Well anyways, I better get going. Goldi's probably wondering where I've been for the past few hours. Thanks for the dinner Mrs. Bianchi."

"She probably didn't even miss you." Garrett replied as, at the same time, I said "Thanks for all your help Toben. Email me the results and stats you got out of all those documents?"

"She missed me Garrett. I know. And of course Kirsten, I'm sorry I couldn't give you a full analysis tonight of my findings. Goodnight everyone."

After Toben left, Yivanni visibly relaxed. "That boy is so... talkative." She muttered.

"That's Toben for you." Garrett replied, squeezing my hand under the table.

"Why are you so happy today, Garrett?" Mr. Bianchi questioned over the top of his recipe book. "Did something... exciting occur at the restaurant today?"

"Erm, no." Garrett replied uncomfortably, "I'm usually this happy aren't I?"

Both of Garrett's parents just stared at him.

"Alright then." Yivanni said, standing up, giving Garrett a curious look before smoothing down her burguny dress, the same color as his shirt. "Is anyone up for dessert?"

"No thanks, dear." Mr. Bianchi replied, "my class this afternoon made a French delicacy, Joconde sponge cake. I barely had room for the pasta tonight."

"You made Joconde?" I asked, leaning forward over my plate.

"Why yes. Although my most difficult delicacies to make, my students did very well."

"The soup kitchen will be very happy then." I replied, giving Garrett a smile. He smile back before looking down at his plate.

"So that is where you went. That's my boy's pride and joy right there. Fattening up Colorado Springs. I'll be

sure to box them up for you Garrett." Mr. Biachi's tone was cool almost distant, not loving as he was supposed to be.

"Well," Garrett muttered, "If you can excuse us, Kirsten and I need to practice for the culinary contest."

"Very well. Goodnight." Mr. Bianchi said, returning to his book.

When we escaped to the kitchen, Garrett turned to me and said, "My father isn't the fondest of the soup kitchen."

"Why not?" I asked with a frown.

"He wanted it named after him but when I named it after my grandma? He's kind of resentful that he didn't geet one more building named after him."