Chapter 3

"Check mate." I said once Steve and I finished our game of chess.

"What? How?" He asked.

I shrugged and looked around the room. Strangely, I haven't seen Ev or Spencer since this morning. I started getting curious and felt that something was wrong.

"Um... I'll be right back." I said, standing up.

"Where are you going?"

"I just, need to check on something." I said.

"Okay kid. Don't be gone too long." Steve said, resetting the chess board.

I walked over to the elevator and went down to the second floor. I walked out of the elevator and pulled out my phone.

M: Do you know where Ev and Spencer are? I haven't seen them since this morning.

R😘: Um... No actually I haven't seen them since this morning either. Give me a minute.

M: Kay

I kept walking towards the cells and looked into Lara's cell. My eyes widened as I saw that it was empty. I looked in Loki's cell, which was also empty, except for a note.

If you want to see them again,
You must follow the directions we send you
DarkShadow💋 and Loki

I grabbed the note and looked upwards at the ceiling. My breathing began to get heavy and I stumbled to the ground momentarily. My vision went blurry and I had to blink several times to clear my vision.

I didn't even think. I just ran.

"Steve!" I screamed as I ran through the halls away from the cells.

I ran faster and faster with fear stricken on my face. I ran past Tony, who shrugged and kept walking towards the kitchen.

"Steve!" I yelled until I ran into Bruce.

"Hey kid, what's wrong?" He asked.

"I need Steve right now. Where is he?"

"In his room, but-"

Before he could finish, I ran past him and into my brother's room. He stood up and looked at me, concerned.

"Hey, kid. Are you okay?" He asked, putting both hands on my shoulders.

I shook my head violently and practically exploded.

"Lara and Loki escaped!" I exclaimed.

Steve's eyes widened.

"What!?"

"And she took Ev and Spencer." I whimpered, feeling warm tears prickle in the back of my eyes.

I bit my lip and let Steve hug me.

"She left this." I said, handing him the note.

Ricky opened the door and looked up at Steve.

"You comfort Maddy, Ricky. I'll tell the others." Steve said, letting go of me.

Ricky came up behind me and kissed my cheek, wrapping his arms around my waist as Steve left.

"We'll find them." Ricky whispered.

I nodded and felt my breathing getting heavy again and my vision got blurry.

"Maddy?" Ricky asked, concerned.

I started to fall but Ricky caught me. He picked me up and carried me bridal style to Steve's bed.

"Shh." He whispered, kissing my forehead. "I've got you."

He held me closer and I buried my face in his neck as my breathing slowed down.

"It's okay." He said.

I looked around as my vision cleared.

"What's wrong with me?" I asked quietly.

"I think you're having an experience with panic attacks." Ricky said.

I felt my eyes widen as I looked up at him.

"What?" I asked. "I can't have panic attacks... I don't want them, they make me feel horrible."

"I know. Tony has panic attacks, too. I promise you'll be okay." He said, grabbing ahold of my hand.

I leaned into his chest and let a few tears fall.

"But, what if I'm fighting and I start to have a panic attack? I'll be completely useless. And-"

"Shh." Ricky whispered, cutting me off. "If anything like that happens, I'll be there to protect you." He said, wiping tear stains off my face. "I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep." I whispered, slightly.

He held me tighter and kissed my forehead.

"I love you. And I never want to let you down." He whispered.

"You never do." I responded, quietly.

We stayed like that for a few moments, until Ricky moved suddenly and laid me on Steve's bed. He pulled the covers over me and kissed me.

"Get some sleep." He whispered, quietly.

He stood up and walked towards the door.

"Rickyroo?" I asked.

He turned and looked at me with warming eyes.

"Can you stay here with me until I fall asleep?" I asked.

He smiled and laid down next to me.

"Anything for you." He whispered in my ear, causing me to blush.

"I love you so much." I whispered as I drifted off to sleep in Ricky's arms.