Chapter 17

"GAAAAAAAH!!!!"

Maggie's body erupted into fire and electricity as she screamed in pain. I looked at Ricky.

"Ricky, let go!" I shouted over Maggie's screams.

Ricky and I let go of each other's hands and stopped using our powers. Maggie fell to the ground and I ran over and quickly handcuffed her. I stepped back and let out a sigh of relief. I turned and looked at Ricky. I sighed again and hugged him.

"Are you okay?" I asked, out of breath.

"Yes, are you okay?" he asked.

I nodded and held on tight to him. "I don't wanna let go."

"You don't have to."

"Alright, let's get them out of here," Steve announced.

I pulled away from Ricky and looked up at Steve.

"Where are we going to put them?" I asked. "They've probably got a hacker which is why the alarms didn't go off and the cells were open."

"We're going to put them back in their cells," Tony answered, "before I got here I updated the alarm system and changed a few things so it would be harder to hack. But we still have to figure out who the hacker is, just to be safe."

I nodded and we returned home and put the villains in their cells. Tony locked them up and updated the fields so that they would be stronger against  teleportation. I headed upstairs and changed into some comfortable clothes and went to the living room. I heard Ricky walk in and felt him looking at me.

"I cleared things up with Em," he said.

I nodded and stared out the window. He walked over and sat next to on the couch. He took my hand and kissed it, making me smile a little. Charlie was curled up next to me, snoozing.

"I'm exhausted," I sighed.

"Me too. It's been a long day," Ricky said.

I leaned against him and shut my eyes. I let the warmth of his body comfort me as I slowly fell asleep.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I woke up hours later in my bed.

Ricky must've moved me. I thought.

I sat up and looked around. Charlie was on my peach comforter, curled up next to my leg. I reached over to pet him. He opened his eyes and looked at me and began wagging his tail.

"Hey, you," I whispered, grinning sleepily at my light brown cavapoo.

I checked the time on my phone.

9:30

Charlie got up and stretched letting out a slight yawn. 

"Come on. Let's go get something to eat," I told Charlie, rubbing the side of his face.

Charlie barked and followed me to the kitchen.

"Good morning," Ricky greeted as I walked through the living room.

"Hey," I smiled, "Charlie and I are on our way to the kitchen to get some dinner."

"Well, you're in luck. Tony's food robot tacos earlier."

He walked into the kitchen with me and reached into the fridge and pulled out the leftover taco makings. I picked up Charlie's food as he barked excitedly.

"Any news on the hacker yet?" I asked, setting Charlie's bowl down.

"Not much, unfortunately. But Lara says she's only willing to talk to... Uh..." Ricky's voice trailed off.

"Talk to who?" I asked.

He turned and looked at me. He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Don't be nervous. Just tell me," I said, reassuring him.

"Well... She's only willing to talk to... You..." he answered.

"Me?" I asked, turning away from the microwave.

"Yeah... I guess all you therapy talks with her paid off."

"Hopefully," I said, setting the timer for 45 seconds.

I turned around and looked at him. He seemed really worried.

"I'll be okay," I said, walking up to him and taking his face in my hands.

He looked at me with deep green eyes.

"I guess I'm just a little worried..." he whispered, looking at me.

"Why?" I asked.

"It's just... What if it's a trap? What if she's going to hurt you? Or manipulate you? I just... I don't know. I just got you back, I can't lose you again."

"Ricky, calm down. I've been to her cell many times, but I'm not stupid, okay?"

"I didn't call you stupid-"

"No, I know, Ricky. I just meant that I'm not going to fall for any of her tricks, okay?"

Ricky nodded and leaned his forehead against mine.

"I promise. Nothing bad will happen to me," I whispered. 

Just then, the microwave went off. I kissed Ricky and then turned to open the microwave. He hugged me from behind as I took my tacos out of the microwave and started kissing my neck. He held me tighter and I reached over and began playing with his hair.

"I love you," I whispered.

"I love you, too," Ricky whispered back, letting me go.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I walked down the stairs, swinging my lanyard and humming a little. I used my card to open the door to the jail unit and walked in.

Just for extra security, all of the cell members were locked in handcuffs that prevented the use of their powers.

I opened Lara's cell and walked in.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked.

She looked up at me, her black eyes glistening. She sighed.

"I'm tired of this," she muttered.

I looked around.

"Tired of always ending up in this situation?" I asked.

She nodded.

"I hate Maggie... And Loki's an a**. I'm just so fed up with everyone."

I sat down and listened intently.

"I'll make you a deal," she said, "I give you the name of the hacker, and you let me go. Deal?"

I stared at her for a minute, then responded, "I'm listening."

"The hacker's name is Brian. Brian Artac. He works at the Empire Building, but mostly he just stays in his mom's basement playing Minecraft. He's a 34 year old loafer..." she rolled her eyes, "he's such a baby."

"Is that all?" I asked.

"Wait. Loki was able to contact him through a tiny chip. Unfortunately for him, that chip was destroyed in today's battle. He says he's got some grand plan, but I don't know what it is. That's all I got."

I nodded, "Thank you so much," I said, standing up.

"Wait! Aren't you gonna let me out? We had a deal!"

I turned back and looked at her.

"You know I can't do that."

She sighed and looked down.

I ran out of the room and headed upstairs to find the others. I have to tell them about Brian. Brian Artac.