Chapter 12

I woke up the next morning feeling sick. I haven't told anyone except Ev about the breakup and I feel like there's a hole in my chest.

And only Ricky could fix it...

My eyes were red and puffy and my face felt sticky from crying so much. Every time I think of the color green I think of his eyes. Whenever I think of the letter R I think of him. The memory of last night is burned into my brain and it won't go away. Every time I remember it I cry. And I can't stop remembering it.

I grabbed the box of tissues on my bedside table and looked down at the ground to see wadded up tissues on the ground from last night, including empty buckets of ice cream. I picked them up and wrinkled my nose.

Ew, they're all icky... Icky rhymes with Ricky...

I felt like crying again and I buried my face in tissues. I started crying again and I probably looked awful. I didn't get any sleep last night. Ev groaned and looked at me. She sat up and, I swear, was this close to slapping me.

"Would you pull yourself together, already!? You are Maddy. You don't need some stupid guy to make you happy." She exclaimed.

"But h-he's not stupid. H-He's smart and funny a-and sweet and if-if only th-the lights were on..." I managed to say before blowing my nose... Again.

"Well if it makes you feel better, I'll talk to him. This whole thing is stupid." Ev muttered.

"It wouldn't have been stupid to you if you saw it..."

"Sorry Mads, I just hate boy drama. I'll have Spencer help me talk to him..." Ev said leaving the room.

I got up and took a shower. At least my face isn't salty anymore. I cuddled back into my bed and fell asleep.

Ricky's P.o.v.

I haven't seen Maddy all morning. She's the only thing I've thought about since last night. I feel like a jerk but I hate that she cheated on me. I should've at least listened to her explain. I would read her mind to see, but I'm afraid of what I'll see.

Not to mention what this could do to me and Em's friendship... He's gonna kill me.

"Have you seen Maddy? I haven't seen her since yesterday morning." Steve asked.

I looked up, not realizing he was there. I shook my head and looked back down at my phone. It wasn't even on. I wasn't even looking at anything I was just sitting there doing nothing when I should be kissing Maddy good morning.

"Something wrong, kid? Do you know where the power button for your phone is?" Tony asked.

I looked up at him and faked a smile.

"Sorry T. I'm just tired. Yesterday was a long and... Eventful day." I responded.

"What does that mean?" Steve demanded, looking down at me.

Tony just wiggled his eyebrows and I shook my head.

"I mean that yesterday I came back home from a yacht trip with Maddy, said goodbye to some friends who were leaving, and stayed up late watching movies." I said.

"Oh. Okay." Steve replied, smiling.

I smiled back when suddenly, Ev grabbed me by the arm and dragged me to the living room.

"What's wrong with you?" Ev asked, angrily.

She stood next to Spencer with her arms crossed.

"Him." I replied, pointing at Spencer.

"You wouldn't even listen to her! You're lucky I don't slap your pretty face right now." Ev glared at me.

"Ricky, the lights were out and I thought she was Cecilia and she thought I was you." Spencer explained. "I wouldn't have kissed her if I knew it was her and I know she wouldn't have kissed me if she knew it was me."

I looked down. I felt so stupid right now!

"You need to talk to her... She couldn't sleep all night." Ev said, yawning. "And neither could I."

I nodded and walked to Maddy's room. I knocked but I didn't get an answer, so I walked in the room. I found her asleep in her bed and I smiled. She looked so peaceful and beautiful, I couldn't wake her...

I walked up to her and kissed her forehead, gently. I knelt down and looked at her. Her breathing was steady, and every now and then, she'd sigh in her sleep, causing the hair in front of her face to lightly blow away. She'd smile and lightly giggle in her sleep and her hand would twitch lightly.

I saw her eyelids begin to flutter as she opened her big brown eyes and saw me. Her eyes were perfectly clear, with no trace of sadness. She looked at me with such kindness and smiled at me.

"Ricky." She whispered, looking into my eyes.

I gave her a sad smile and lightly caressed her face.

"No. You cannot be him." She said, frowning. "He is far away. In his own world."

I looked at her sadly as she gently took my hand.

"It is only a dream." She said, rubbing her thumb against the back of my hand and looking down. "Do you think he would've forgiven me?"

Her dark eyes looked up into my green ones. I crawled into her bed and picked her up as she cuddled into my arms.

"He would've." I whispered back. "And he will."

I kissed the top of her head and held her closer.

"I love you so much." I whispered.

"I love you more." She whispered back.

"I don't think that's possible." I whispered, smiling.

Soon, she and I both fell asleep...

**************************
Did any of y'all see the Hobbit reference??? The whole, you cannot be him, thing? If you did, I love y'all even more than I already do! Which may be impossible since I love y'all so much! 😘