Chapter 18

"His name is Brian Artac," I said, walking into the lab. "He works at the Empire State Building, but mostly spends his time in his mom's basement. Says he's got some master plan, but we've got no idea what it is yet."

The men in the room looked at me, astonished.

"Lara told me everything. Apparently, Loki had a small chip they used to communicate, but that was destroyed in the fight."

Tony quickly searched him up.

"34? Looks like a jobless hobo?" he asked.

"That should be him," I answered.

"Good job, kid," Steve said.

I smiled. Deep inside, I felt kind of bad for Lara. I didn't want to lie to her, but I knew I had to. I felt my phone vibrate. I picked it up and checked to see who it was.

R😘: Hey, babe. Ev, Spencer and I are going out for ice cream. Wanna come? Front seat is yours 😂

M: 😂 Sure, be down in a sec.

I looked up from my phone.

"Steve, I'm going out," I said.

"Where?" he asked.

"Just to go get ice cream with Ricky, Ev,  and Spencer."

"Alright. Have fun!"

"Thanks!" I said, turning and heading towards the elevator.

I met Ricky in the lobby and he handed me my jacket.

"Thank you," I said as he put it on me.

"You're welcome," he responded, wrapping one arm around me and walking me out the door.

Ev and Spencer we're already in the car. Ricky opened the door for me and I stepped into the passengers seat. I smiled as he got into the drivers seat next to me.

"Yes! It's time for a date with Ben and Jerry!" Ev exclaimed, causing me to laugh.

Spencer rolled his eyes.

"What date? You'll be single forever," he teased.

"Hey! That is true! But even if I am, I've still got ice cream."

"You're so annoying," Spencer whined.

"Well at least I'm not as desperate as you."

"Shut up."

"You shut up! You're always trying to pick up Maddy and you've got a girlfriend!" Ev yelled.

"It's called, 'teasing'."

"You're dumb."

"No, you're dumb."

"Kids," Ricky started, looking into his rearview mirror, "If you keep on fighting, then I'm turning this car around. Is that clear?"

They both nodded and Ev stuck her tongue out at Spencer before looking out the window. I giggled a little and Ricky looked at me and smiled.

"What?" he asked, still grinning.

"It's like we're their parents," I answered.

Ricky chuckled and looked back at the road.

"Yeah it is, isn't it?"

I grinned and sat back to relax on the way to the ice cream shop.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once we got there, Ev hopped out and ran up to the door, with me, Spencer, and Ricky behind her.

"Hurry up!" she shouted as she ran inside.

"I think the cold weather makes her more ecstatic," Ricky whispered.

"It probably does," I responded as we walked inside, "Okay Ev, you can get a double scoop ice cream cone, kay?"

"Yay!" Ev exclaimed, jumping up excitedly.

"Will you please control yourself?" Spencer asked, clearly annoyed.

Ev leaned over the counter.

"Um... I'm gonna have peppermint sherbet and rocky road ice cream in a cone, please?" she requested.

The man behind the counter nodded and went to get her ice cream ready.

"Wow, that's a pretty interesting order," a boy next to her said.

"Thanks! Hi! I'm Evelyn, and I like dogs, cats, pizza, but mostly dragons. They're eyes are so cool! And it makes me happy when I watch them shoot fire out of their mouths and destroy evil people... And dumb people... Dumb and evil people."

"Haha. I'm Austin," the boy said, "I like sarcasm, memes... And yeah. Dragons are pretty cool."

"Pretty cool? They're awesome!" Ev exclaimed.

The man behind the counter looked at me and Ricky. I shrugged and he just shook his head and went back to scooping out ice cream.

"Probably not as awesome as you. You seem really cool," Austin said.

I looked at Ricky and raised my eyebrows. He just shook his head and smiled.

"Thanks. You seem cool, too," Ev said.

I got the feeling that she couldn't tell that he was flirting with her.

"Can I get your number?" he asked.

"Sure, one sec. My friend has my phone," she said.

Ev walked over to me. "Can I borrow your phone?" she asked.

"Sure. I'll buy you one later."

"Really?! Thanks!"

She hugged me and ran off. I laughed and looked up at Ricky.

"My little girl is growing up so fast."

Ricky threw his head back laughing and held me tight.

"I love you so much," he said.

"I love you, too... Hey, can we stop by the Apple Store before we go home? I wanna get Ev her own phone," I asked.

"Sure, we can do that," Ricky said.

"Thanks," I said, kissing his cheek.

We got our ice cream and joined the others. Spencer was texting Cecilia the whole time while Ev talked to Austin. Ricky and I sat back and talked about the randomest things. I sighed happily. This is the way it should be. This was my family. I loved them all so much.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After we finished our ice cream, and Ev said goodbye to Austin, we drove to the Apple Store and I bought Ev her phone. Ricky insisted on paying for me, but we decided to split the payment instead. I also got her a super protective case, just to keep it mostly protected from whatever weird things Ev might do.

Afterwards we drove home, and Spencer and Ev's bickering began the second we walked into the lobby.

I sighed and shook my head, "They don't ever stop, do they?" I asked.

"Not unless ice cream is on the line," Ricky answered.

I giggled as we walked up to the elevator and we went to our own rooms. Ev spent hours texting Austin on her new phone while I curled up with Charlie and fell asleep.

It's been a long day...