XIV

XIV.

*********

The silence was deafening. You could almost hear a pin drop as Zoey and Travis took the elevator  until they walked out and into the corridor leading to his unit.

'I already told you not to go home but that impish little head of yours still told you to do it. And then you followed.' Travis was not shouting when he said that after he closed the door behind them.

But Zoey could hear it all too well.

'Why are you preventing me to spend time with my family?' She argues.

'Because I knew too well that this would happen! That fucking uncle of yours would do this monstrosity! And I was right!' Travis snaps back at her.

'Was I stupid because I thought that he has changed?' She asks. 'Am I stupid?'

'Do you want me to be honest? Huh? Then yes you are stupid! That kind of person would never change! You should be thankful that guy doesn't even  try to lift a finger to try and touch you. You are not even related by blood.' He reminds her. 'Aren't you scared that at some point he could do that?'

'It's not like I'm a virgin.' Zoey scoffs.

'You are unbelievable! Why do you degrade yourself so much?'

'Because I deserve every bit of degradation.' She spat.

'Please don't say that.' Travis shakes his head as he looked at her.

'This kind of life, I never wanted this. I never asked for this.'

And Zoey thought that she was strong. But her eyes had betrayed her.

'I just wanted my old life back, Travis.'

'Do you regret meeting me? Being with me? Does this have something to do with that new guy?' He asked.

'No. No. Of course not!' She said, shaking her head.

Lumapit sya sa binata at hinawakan ang braso nito.

'I just wanted to spend time with my grandparents Travis. You knew how much I love them.' She explained tearfully.

'Yes I know and you know that I love them too but honey, please think of yourself. I'm just worried for you.'

'I can take care of myself Travis. I had already proved it to you a lot of times.' She touched his face and cradled it in her hands. 'I thought you trusted me.'

'I'll trust you with my life if I can, honey. You know how much I can't afford to lose you.'

'You are not going to lose me. I'm just here.' She explained, now wrapping her arms on his waist, leaning her cheek on his chest.

'Then let's get married.' Travis whispered at the top of her head before he kissed it.

'You knew too well that I can't marry you.' She sternly whispered back.

*********

Paikot ikot sa kanyang kama si Stanley kahit alas tres na ng madaling araw.

'Son of CEO.' He recalled, grabbing his phone from the bedside table and hitting Google search.

' He recalled, grabbing his phone from the bedside table and hitting Google search