Chapter 4

"Maddie are you crazy?" Nina asks sitting next to me almost about to have a panic attack. I shake my head. This is Rebeccas fault, if she would've just left me alone than I wouldn't be doing this.

"No, I'm not. Theres no way of getting my way out of this anyways so i might as well finish it. Im going to do whatever I can to get Ace to be mine. I have wanted this for so long and this is my chance so are you going to help me or not?" I ask boldly. She nods her head.

"Your my best friend of course ill help you." I send a warm smile her way. "Thanks." She nods her head and I stand up and start pacing around the room.

"Okay, so what do I do first?"I ask her and she begins to think.

"The SweetHeart dance is tomorrow." I totally forgot about that until Nina reminded me.

"I don't know what I would do though." She nods.

"We will think of something."

************

The next morning I wake up exhausted. Me and Nina stayed up till twelve a.m. thinking of ideas that we could do. Nina was next to my bed passed out on the floor and I was comfortably sitting on my bed with all of the blankets. This is normal for when she sleeps over, normally something happens and I end up pushing her off the bed keeping the blankets for myself to snuggle up in.

Since I know that Nina is going to want to shower, I got ahead and go and jump in the shower quickly before she wakes up.

I change into some black comfortable leggings, my grey t-shirt, and my black and white converses. By the time I finally get done with my shower Nina wakes up.

"Hurry Nina your gonna make us late!" I yell and she jumps up like a squirrel running from a dog and runs to the bathroom.

I head down the steps and grab a glass bowl, pouring some milk and cereal into it and sitting down at the table. Violet soon after joins me spending the whole time on her phone, typical.

"Okay I'm ready." Nina says running down the steps and I follow her out the door to her car.

"So whats are plan today?" She asks as I fiddle with the radio. Its early so normally all of the stations are just talking so I turn the nob, turning it down.

"I don't fully know I'm just going to talk to Ace more I guess." She nods and pulls into the school parking lot. Walking into school I get lots of dirty looks from people I don't even talk to. I ignore the people glancing and walk down the narrow hallway to my locker but all the eyes on me feel so unusual. I turn towards Nina and she has the same exact confused look on her face that I do.

We both know why everyone is staring, just we are more of the lame kid type at a highschool. We never get attention like this and I guess it just feels sorta different. The only other time we have gotten loads of attention is when we were 6 and was in the towns parade.

Yes, me and Nina have known eachother for 10 years. Hard to believe I found a best friend who would stick with me through everything that has happened, whether it be good or bad.

Most of the day passes in a blur, math is math, hard as hell, like always of course since they put me in the advanced algebra class. We finally reach lunch and I set down my tray to the far left of the lunch table where I always sit. I look over at Aces table, it's a force of habit since I have started liking him to look at him every second I can. Sometimes, just sometimes I catch him glaring back and it would leave little butterflies fluttering around in my stomach.

He may have a girlfriend, but hey, I enjoy the attention.

"Go!" Nina squeals in my ear, making me jump and also breaking me out of my daydream of the beautiful face I was just looking at. I look at her confused and taken aback at the same time.

"What the hell Nina." I laugh and look back at my lunch.

"Go sit with him! His girlfriend isn't here today." I laugh sarcastically at the fact that she thinks I have the courage to get up and go sit with the hottest guy in school. I mean, we have talked but he scares me and makes me feel all nervous.

"Ha, your funny." I respond picking up a piece of lettuce and fiddling with it from the soggy sandwich the lunch ladies made. They always sell terrible food here and let me tell you sometimes I can't take it and just one glance at the crap on a tray can make me go from starving to feeling like I'm gonna puke.

"Seriously, if you can't sit with him then you sure as hell are not going to complete your quest Maddie." She begs and I look at her funny.

"Quest?" I laugh.

"Shut up and go talk to him." 

"Jesus Christ fine." I say as she pushes me off of the wooden picnic table. I grab my tray of crap and slowly begin walking towards their table quietly praying through my head that both of my shoes are tied and that I won't trip or that there's not something on the ground that I would trip on.

I don't know why, but it always seem like the moment your about to do something is terrifying, but when you actually do it it is not as scary.

I finally reach the table and set my food down next to Ace with a foolish smile on my face. He turns to me with a look of confusion plastered on his face, which soon turns to a smirk.

"Scoot." I say demanding and he laughs and slides over a little bit leaving me a spot to sit. All of his friends look towards me with a look of confusion just like Ace looked two minutes ago.

"Who's your new girl, Ace?" One of his friends ask sending a wink my way and I give a sarcastic smile back, trying to hint that I'm disgusted.

"She's not my girl, but it's Maddie." He says and as soon as I hear my name come out of his mouth I get butterflies in my stomach.

"She's hot." Another friend says and I just laugh and smile when I'm really thinking of ways to get my self out of this situation, but Ace makes me not want to leave.

"What're you doing here clumsy?" He asks with a smirk plastered on his face. I laugh.

"What can't take hanging out with a girl for a little bit?"

He looks back at his friends. "I always knew you had the hots for me Renea." I roll my eyes trying to hide the fact that a blush appears on my cheeks.

"Ha you wish Mcalls." I say setting my plastic fork back on the tray and sliding off the picnic bench, walking away.

I didn't want to leave, I really didn't, but hey.. sometimes you have to play hard to get, to get the guy.