Chapter 17

Back to school again. Yay am I right? No. Because I have to see Ace today and it was so very awkward with what happened saturday when we were cleaning the cafeteria. I don't want to talk about it with him and I don't want to talk to him at all because I know the only words that will come out of his mouth would be 'I don't feel that way' and I definitely do not want to hear that because I really really care about him.

I grab my pink victoria secret bag that is a burgundy type color, and head out the front door to where Nina was waiting in the car.

Sliding into the passenger side, I close the door behind me and Nina pulls out of my driveway and begins driving down the narrow road. I begin to feel butterflies in my stomach of how nervous I was to be around him today. I just need to avoid him, that's all. I did it for a month I can do it again can't I?

She pulls into the school parking lot and I grab my bag and walk through the school doors with Nina by my side. I see her looking over at me and my hand begins to tremble as my breathing gets louder then normally.

"Are you okay Mad?" She asks and I look at her trying to hold a straight face and nod.

"You look like your gonna get sick." She says.

"I'm not feeling the best today." I say back trying to keep my balance as I walk down the hall.

"Are you nervous?" She asks and I look at her like she is crazy.

"What kind of question is that?" I snap at her and she backs up from me at the harshness in my tone and I realize the way I spoke to her and move back away from her a little bit.

"Okay, stupid question." She says.

"I'm sorry I'm just really nervous. I don't know what's going to happen and if i'm honest I don't want anything to happen right now, I just want to avoid him and never face him again." I say putting my hand over my eyes.

"Calm down and breathe Maddie, It will be okay. You guys talked again Saturday and everything was perfectly fine. It will be okay and I will be with you through the whole day you will make it I promise." She says pulling my hands away from my eyes making me face the reality ahead of me.

I look at her and roll my eyes with a loud groan shortly after. "I hate when your right." I say moving forward and see her behind me smiling at her accomplishment, as she walks with me to my locker.

I take off the combinationed lock and open it. I see a note inside and pull it out.

"What's that?" Nina asks and I quickly push the note into my binder before she can see anything on it.

"Just my homework." I say getting the rest of my books and closing my locker replacing the lock back. I can't help but feel the slightest curious of what the note says and who it is by. The only thing that I saw on the nicely closed envelope was my name, and I'm honestly scared to death to read it. Could it be from Ace? I honestly highly doubt that. I don't think Ace wants to speak to me at this point because I was so stupid and let my feelings take control of me and kissed him.

Half the day goes by and we are finally at lunch and Nina stands with me in line to get the food that the lunch ladies make. As we get our trays and head over to the table we normally sit at, I take a bite of a so-called fry that always tastes like cardboard.

Literally everything they serve tastes exactly the same and not one thing tastes how it's supposed to.

For the first time today, I see Ace appear in the cafeteria and flash backs come back into my mind.

Stupid stupid stupid Maddie. If you hadve just kept your lips to yourself, you wouldn't be in this situation.

I turn away as my heart rate begins to speed up, and focus on the blabbering that Nina is doing about the new One Direction song that just came out on the radio.

I try to focus on what she is saying but I can't help but glance over at Ace once and a while, and I see as he glances back sometimes too, which makes my glare shoot away from him.

"Hello? Earth to Maddie." Nina yells and I totally forgot what she was talking about.

"Yeah?" I ask and her face turns blank at my response.

"Did you hear anything I just said?"

"Yes." I say trying my best to lie without being caught.

"Are you lying?" She laughs and I can feel a small smile tugging at my lips.

"No?" I say trying not to give myself away.

"Oh my god you are! Some friend you are." She scoffs and I laugh trying to make the mood of the conversation better. I notice it takes my mind off of Ace a little bit. Might as well keep talking to Nina if it helps, even if that means listening to her One Direction fangirling for the next 15 minutes of lunch.

Finally lunch is over and the class I have been dreading the whole day has finally come. Math. The only class I have with Ace that I used to love but now hate because of my stupid brain and heart can't tell me when to stop doing something stupid.

I walk in with my binder and books and sadly this is the only class I don't have with Nina which leaves me alone with this idiot for 45 minutes. I try my best to hide in the corner desk as I talk to Hannah.

Finally I made it through the five minutes we always have to talk, and the teacher begins to tell us about scientific notation. I already know all of this so I let my mind kind of wonder off. I begin to think of how I wanna go home and burry my face into my pillow at the lack of embarrassed I am today.

Then I remember the note that I found in my locker this morning. My curiosity always gets the best of me and I really want to open it now to see who it is from and what it is.

I pull my binder that I shoved the note in this morning closer to me not paying any attention to what the teachers talking about and pull the piece of folded paper out into my hand.

"Ace and Maddie." I shoot my glare to the front where the voice came from and this is not the first time I have heard my name combined with his. But for what? I had all of my attention on the note that I don't even know what we are doing and why the teacher just called my name along with Aces. I see Ace begin to walk my way and I quickly shove the note back into my binder and look at him in surprise.

"What was that?" He asks and I move my hand away from my binder from where I just stuck the note.

"Um.. Just... I.. My homework." I finally manage to get out and I yell at myself inside my head from making a fool of myself from stuttering. I need to get it together and stop being so nervous, he's just a person. A very judgemental jerky person, but still a person.

"Oh. Well let's get this shit over with." He says laying the worksheet on my table and I realize that I just got paired with Ace to work on classwork with.

Great.

Why does everything go the opposite way I always want it to?

Plus I know I'm going to be the one doing all of the work because Ace is terrible at math.

Joy.

I begin working on the problems and look through all the possible ways to do it. It's easy work that I learned last year so I'm going through it really quickly before Ace stops me.

"Isn't this supposed to be 93?" He asks moving his hand to where the problem is. He hand brushes over mine and sits on mine as he points to the problem. My mind begins to spin and I can't even focus on the fact that he is asking me a question.

I glance at his hand that is half on top of mine, and look up to him and he is also looking at our hands. As soon as he notices that I was looking at him he takes his hand off mine letting me focus more on the question he just asked.

I let out a deep breathe and pray that Ace can't hear my heartbeat that is beating so hard i'm surprised it hasn't popped out of my chest yet.

"Your right." I laugh softly and erase my answer putting what he said. I know him putting his hand on mine wasn't much, but it was enough to make my heart skip a beat.

Also, I can't even think of it as anything because I could tell he didn't even mean to put his hand on mine, he was only trying to point to a problem.

Oh jesus what a confusing world i'm living.