Chapter 2

Spencer continued to be a good friend and a great science partner. "Camryn, you will never guess what happened." I laughed at Spencer's enthusiasm "My grade has gone up an entire letter since we became partners. You are a lifesaver." he wrapped his arms around my waist and spun me in a circle. "Thanks, Camryn."

I was happy for him because I know he is intelligent. But part of me felt bad because all I did was make him actually do the work, he was the one that made his grade go up. We didn't have any more experiments for a few weeks, but Spencer sweet-talked Mrs. Taylor into moving his seat next to mine. His excuse was that I was good at explaining stuff to him but he told me it was because I was the only bearable one.

Mrs. Taylor loved experiments and projects, other than that it was notes and the occasional bookwork. She liked to keep things interesting and hardly gave homework. If you asked most of her students would say they wished the rest of the teachers were the same way. She was funny but she was also very smart. She always had a reason for what she was doing and why she was doing it.

During lunch, I was walking past Spencer's table when I felt someone reach out a grab me. "Why don't you sit here?" it was Spencer but I knew I wouldn't feel welcomed.

"Thank you but I don't want to intrude." I went to walk away when I heard a girl's voice say, "You're not intruding. Please stay, Spencer won't stop talking about how smart you are."

Spencer pulled up a chair between him and the girl. I sat down and the nice girl stuck her hand out and said, "I'm Adeline Sawyer and this is my brother Aiden Paul." pointing to a familiar face. They introduced me to a couple of others who didn't care to hide the fact they didn't like me.

Adeline did everything she could to make me feel welcome and I appreciated it. She made sure to talk to me and kept from asking me tons of questions. After a while, we landed on the topic of a study group and I mentioned I had the free time and grades to help her out. When she realized I lived next door she was completely on board.

Lunch was actually nice and I got along with Adeline well and Spencer and I had already met. The only times I was uncomfortable was when it felt as if Aiden's eyes were burning holes into my skin. If looks could kill I might've died.

The bell for the end of the seventh period rang and as I made my way down the hall I noticed Spencer walking in front of me. This would've been normal if art wasn't the only class down this hall. I caught up to him and said, "You have art?" he nodded his head with a grin

"Have you never noticed me?" I felt bad but said the truth

"I guess not."

We didn't have assigned seats so he followed me to the back where we sat together. As we sat Spencer talked "You know for the past few weeks when we talked we only made jokes. I have told you about me but I know nothing about you." I was nervous he would ask questions I didn't want to answer. For once I had to take a risk, I know to make real friends you have to be vulnerable for long enough to create a bond.

"Do you play sports?" I laughed "No."

"Any special talents?" I nodded "That's a secret for now." he made a sad face and I lightly smacked his arm.

"Siblings?" I knew he would ask and I knew I would have to answer "One brother." thankfully he didn't ask anymore but said,

"I didn't know that. Boyfriend?" I shook my head "I can find you a guy. I know everyone." I shook my head at him.

"Why do you take art?" I was grateful he changed the topic.

"I can draw pretty well. You?" He pulled a paintbrush out of his bag and I got the message.