Chapter 7

"Ms. Louis this is very unlike you." I looked up at my very judgmental principal "You haven't been in any trouble in..." She stopped and I knew what she realized.

"I haven't been in trouble since before Camdyn died." I looked at her with a bored expression because I can think of a million other places I would rather be.

"Well, yes. Can you please tell me why you hit Ms. King?" I scoffed bitterly.

"I hit your niece because she approached me first. She slapped me first. She pushed me against the lockers first and she called me a slut first. I understand her family, pardon me, your family has a lot of money. I also understand if her parents shove over a couple of hundred dollars she will be let off with a simple warning." I scooted forward in my seat never breaking eye contact.

"I'm getting a little sick of the crap your niece has been putting me and many others through since junior high. So, what I am proposing is don't let her off punishment-free because the me you saw today is not the end of it. She can't continue to believe that she is invincible so either you fix it or I will." I scooted back until my back hit the chair again.

"You know Ms. Louis this will not look good to colleges." I put on a big fake smile and let out a bitter laugh.

"Are you going to take away my Valedictorian status or my perfect grades for the last five years? All of this is because you'll do anything to make Brianna look like the perfect girl everyone knows she's not. Punish her and you won't hear another word from me."

As she sat straighter in her chair she looked at me with a look I couldn't quite describe. I knew she was angry because nobody ever stands up to Brianna so her family name stays untouched.

"With all due respect Mrs. King this isn't about you or your success as a principal. This is about the fact that any time Brianna slips up it gets swept under the rug. I know that you're her family and I understand why it happens. I would do anything to protect my own but that doesn't make what you're doing okay."

Mrs. King cleared her throat "You are suspended for the rest of the day and you will be on close watch, Ms. Louis. While I cannot speak of other students I'm sure you will be hearing of the equal punishment Ms. King will be receiving."

I put on a sweet fake smile, nodded, shook her hand, and said "Pleasure doing business with you."

I called Georgie and he picked me up begging for the story. The entire ride home I had to tell him every detail of what happened. Telling G what happened got him to side with me. We went into the house and watched movies until we both decided to head to bed.

I laid in the darkness and the sleepiness went away. Today was the first time in two years that I've snapped and the first time in four I've snapped at school. I should have kept my cool but I'm tired.

I'm tired of being a good person all of the time. It clearly hasn't gotten me anywhere with people like Brianna. It also got me to know where in keeping my friends four years ago.

In this shitty world being nice doesn't always get you places and in this town being nice sometimes makes you weak. I think it's about time that I only give respect to those that earn it and deserve it.

I turned on my side and forced myself to sleep. If I sleep I can't think.

Someone was beating on the door but I ignored it. I put a pillow over my face but it didn't go away. I was planning on skipping school but I guess I'll get up.