Chapter 3

The rest of the week continued normally. Spencer and Adeline were the only people I talked to all week and I liked having friends. I spent my nights watching movies that I'd only heard people talk about. I didn't talk to Aiden anymore which made that car ride seem even more odd.

Drifting off to sleep I thought of how things used to be and the night everything changed.

The rain was hitting the windshield so hard I could've sworn it could crack. The road was hard to see and the look on his face made that evident. "We should've stayed home." It stayed silent until we got to what appeared to be a stop sign. He attempted to look in each direction and began to drive off. "Cami stop worrying when has your big bro ever failed to get you home safe?"

I looked up at Camdyn with admiration as I always have and my nerves began to settle. "I love you bubby." Looking over to me my brother tried to reply but the headlights shining towards us stopped him.

A truck slammed into Camdyn as I screamed not knowing how to stop it. Everything seemed in slow motion as I watched my brother be crushed inside his car. I screamed for help but no one came. A tear escaped my brother's eye as he reached out for me "I love you."

I woke up with sweat pouring down my face and my tremors being impossible to control.

I wish Camdyn was still here. He was my singing partner and my best friend. He never hesitated to invite me out with him even if it was to a party and he knew I'd say no. He was my rock and now that he is gone I'm floating with no one here to bring me back. Reality sucks.

After sitting in my room for a few hours just staring at the ceiling I went to Camdyn's room. My parents haven't touched it since he's passed. I grabbed his computer from his desk and took it back to my room. I open it up and there's a video already up of us singing.

I clicked play even though I knew I'd regret it. It was a video of us singing American Honey by Lady Antebellum. I laughed along with the intro where we goofed off but as soon as he started singing I began crying.

I couldn't do it. I only made it halfway through before I started crying so hard I couldn't see. I slammed the computer shut and stood up.

Why did he have to go? Why did I have to lose my best friend?

I slammed my fist on the desk. "It's not fair!"

I saw a picture in a frame of us and threw it across the room. The glass shattered and plastic flew in every direction. I screamed, not words just screamed.

I began punching the wall watching small cracks form although I was numb to the pain.
I stood there slamming my hands into the wall until I felt someone wrap their arms around me. I tried to fight them off but it got me nowhere. We sank to the floor and he ran his fingers through my hair calming me. I didn't look up I just let myself cry into him.

Wait?

Him?

I finally looked up and saw Aiden looking at me with a look I couldn't quite identify. I went to ask how he knew but it was like he read my mind "I could hear you from my house. Are you okay?" I just shook my head.

I laid in his arms taking in the smell of lemon detergent and cologne while he did his best to calm me down.

"I'm here Cami it was just a dream." He whispered in my ear as he picked me up behind my back and knees. Aiden set me down on the bed and pulled the covers back over me. He pushed the hair away from my face and left.