Chapter 21

Today is prom.

That was my first thought waking up. I leaned up and saw my dress hanging from the door. I checked the time and it was 11:00, so I have 5 hours to get ready before Aiden would be here. I hopped out of bed and quickly ate some cereal before getting in the shower. I took my time but was sure not to spend too much time there. I washed my hair thoroughly and made sure to get all of the soap out.

I stepped out and wiped the mirror off to see myself. I noticed that I didn't look tired anymore, there were no dark circles under my eyes. I put a towel around my hair and another around my body and then began to wash my face.

Afterward, I walked to my room and put on a flannel and leggings so I could easily change into my dress. I sat at my vanity and took the towel from my hair so it would begin to dry while I started on my makeup.

I did simple makeup because I hated having it caked on. It didn't take me a lot of time so I still had three and a half hours. I knew my hair would take a little bit but I couldn't ignore the grumble in my stomach any longer. The cereal I ate earlier wasn't lasting so I went to the kitchen and while I was making a sandwich I heard a knock on the door.

I walked over and could see my mom through the window. I slowly opened the door not fully understanding why she was here.

"Your dad called me and said that today was your prom. I don't think your father and I can fix our problems but I don't want to lose you because of them. I know we've both said some things but I just want another chance."

I opened the door further and let her in. "Would you like something to eat?" She shook her head as she sat down at the table.

"No, Camryn I came here to speak with you."

"Alright, speak." I watched as she rolled her eyes. She spoke while I ate.

"After we lost your brother I did everything I could to help you because I watched as your whole world fell apart. I tried my hardest to help you from hitting rock bottom but at that time I wasn't helping myself. So, when I began working again that's when I stopped being a mother and I think that's when I started to blame you for your brothers' death. I've only recently realized how terrible I was to you and for that, I apologize."

I didn't say anything back. I wasn't sure if I wanted to accept her apology. I finished eating and put my plate into the dishwasher.

"If you want a second chance you're going to have to prove that you're not going to set out to make me feel terrible. You made me feel like everything that has gone wrong has been because of me."

"I know that and I'm going to be the mom that I used to be."

I nodded my head and as I turned I noticed the time. I was down for an hour and I needed to do my hair and get my dress on.

"Can you help me with my hair so that I don't run out of time?"

"I'd love to."

We both went up to my room and my mom straightened my hair for me and pinned some of it up so that it would look different from every other day. Afterward, she helped me put my dress on and we both stood in front of my mirror.

"You've been different ever since your brother passed Camryn." looking in the mirror I could see her face showed genuine concern.

"I lost the most important person to me. Camdyn was my other half and losing him broke me." She ran her fingers through my hair as I spoke.

"You know that boy cannot put you back together. You're young, with a pretty face, and long hair for him to love but one day it will fade." I turned to look at her