Chapter 13

I woke up with my hair all around me and the feeling that my head was going to explode. I checked my phone and had a message from my dad telling me to go to the kitchen. I got up feeling nauseous and walked slowly and quietly. Our old stairs were creaky and every step sent pain through my head.

When I reached the kitchen I saw two bottles of water, aspirin, scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and a note.

Dear Camryn,

I had to go to work at the office today but I made you breakfast to help with any hangover you may or may not have.

Love Dad.

I took the medicine and finished off the first bottle of water before eating the food. With my dad being gone I've forgotten how good his food tasted. He is back home but I haven't even heard from my mom in a few weeks. Usually, she is home for a week or two and leaves me with some money. Even when she is home she gets back from work late and we hardly talk.

After I finished all of the food and drank my second bottle of water I made my way back up to my room. I sat at my vanity and used coconut oil to remove the makeup from my face that was already smeared. I wiped my face clean and then got clothes together for a run.

Although I was going for a run I have to shower because I reeked of beer. Some girl spilled beer all over my top "on accident" and I pretended to be okay with it. I wanted to rip her hair out of her skull but Aiden distracted me so I wouldn't. Then during one song, everyone was jumping with their cups in the air so I know that my hair was covered.

I stood under the hot water hoping it would ease my sore muscles. When before the water could begin to turn cold I stepped out and got ready to run around the park for a bit. I regret that I quit running before because it used to be the best way for me to relieve stress.

As I stepped out of the door a gust of wind made me shiver as it cut through my thin jacket. I put my earbuds in and took off down the road.

I wasn't sprinting but it was enough to make me notice how out of shape I really am. After about thirty minutes of running, I found myself standing in front of the playground Aiden and I were at last night. I thought of what happened and I smiled.

I had stood there replaying last night over in my head for so long that my breathing had returned to normal so I ran home.

I hopped back into the shower to wash the sweat away. It was only two in the afternoon and my mother was consuming my thoughts. Usually, I had some idea of where she may be but I had no idea.

Before I could think of a better idea I called my mother's assistant.

"Karen Louis' office. How may I help you?" Her chirpy voice was fake. The woman hated her job and hated my mother even more.

"Hey, Harper it's me Camryn. I was just curious as to where my monster may be." she laughed at my choice of words and her fake nice voice was gone.

"Your mother should be at home. That's where she said she was going about four hours ago." I scoffed.

"Harper how long has my mother been in town?"

"Two weeks, why?"

"I have to go."

I hung up before she could say anything back. I can't believe my mother is in town and hasn't been home. I called every hotel in town pretending to be my mother trying to figure out where she was staying. I told them I was out of the room and needed the room number to inform my daughter so she could visit.

Once I found the right hotel I got in my car and sped over there. Her room number was 216 and when I got there I knocked hard and fast.

My mother opened the door and her whole face dropped when she recognized me. Before either of us could speak a male voice did.