1.3 ⇛ Custody

C H A R L I E

Chapter 13

My lungs burned, wanting more air in them as my feet slapped down on the cold concrete, pain surging through them.

But I kept running.

I was freezing, I was gasping for air as the world felt as if it was spinning. My hair back from the wind as I wanted to stop and scream at the world.

But I kept running.

I turned to run into the preserve, my feet hurting with every twig and pebble I stepped on with my bare feet. I could hear my heart rate as my lungs struggled for more air.

I tripped on a rock, falling on the ground as I yelled. I screamed, tears running down my face as I pounded in the ground, gripping on the leaves that crinkled from my grip.

I rolled over to my back, the sound of my sobs sounded inhuman. The sky was gray and clouded, maybe the sky looks like that because they knew what was going to happen.

I was a mess. They were supposed to be gone, dead. I finally numbed the pain of them leaving and now they're back. They're back and I don't like it.

I looked over to see them jogging near me.

"Charles we need to talk about this." They approached me, sitting near me.

"Don't call me that." I bitterly glared.

"Don't talk to your father like that." My mother snapped at me.

"You made him go and leave me. I'm finally fine, I don't feel like another person is going to leave me. I'm finally fine and now you're back, please leave me alone." I looked to see Isaac as he silently motioned me to come to him.

"We need to talk about it."

"I don't think I want to, Doctor Phil." I got up leaving the two as they called out for me.

"Let's go." I muttered, getting in the car as I pulled my legs up to my chin.

"They want custody of you." Isaac stared at the steering wheel.

"I don't think I want to be with them." I wiped the tears away.

"Why don't you tell them that?" Isaac asks.

"Because they're not going to stop, it's happened before." I muttered, looking as they were going to approach the car before Isaac drove off.

"Why did you tell them that they were dead?" Isaac glanced at me.

"Because in the middle of my freshman year they called saying that my mom was dead. After my dad left, he didn't call." I checked my legs that had scratches on them.

"Charlie." Isaac trailed off.

"It's fine, we all have some type of burden." I purse my lips, my head leaning against the window.

"I think it's possible for you to choose where to live instead of living with your parents." Isaac stopped the car on the side of the road.

"How's that?"

"You just need to tell the judge and jury that you prefer to live with you aunt, but your parents really want custody so you might have to spend weekends or one day out of the week with them." Isaac explained.

"How do you know all of this?" I ask.

"Well, I wanted to stay with my uncle instead of my dad so I did a lot of research. I guess you know what I'm going to say next." Isaac shrugged.

"You live with Derek now." I pointed out.

"Which is great since I'm not beaten or locked in a freezer." Isaac drove down the street.