2.2 ⇛ Trigger

C H A R L I E

Chapter 22

"So you can't go inside a painting?" I stared at the large painting in front of me, furrowing my brows.

"I almost did once, but I was pulled out of it." I responded.

"Well, have you tried to do it after that?"

"Not really." I rubbed my arms, looking at the ground.

"You need a trigger." She tapped her finger against her mouth, circling the painting.

"A what?" I asked, my voice echoing.

"A trigger. Motive. Something made you go through that painting." My mother huffed, stopping now in front of the painting.

"Well, I was trying to not die in the moment." I stood next to her.

"Alright, stand in front of the painting. Clear your mind from all your issues." She positioned me in front of the painting.

"And how exactly am I going to do that?" I start to turn to her before she sticks her hands on my shoulders, preventing me from moving.

"Close you eyes." She ordered. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath.

"Hold our your hands, remember that everything's fine. It's only you and the painting." I held my hands out, taking multiple deep breaths before slowly stepping forward.

It felt like I went in the painting as my eyes flew open.

"I did it! I-" I paused, noticing that I never met the painting.

"Close your eyes again and don't have any sudden outbursts." I knew that the older woman sighed as I closed my eyes, repeating the process.

When my hands connected with the bumpy texture, I knew that I didn't pass through it.

"It didn't work." I turned to my mom as she walked closer.

"What were you feeling when you were about to enter the painting?" She asked, stopping at my right.

"Fear."

"I was scared to death because I thought someone was going to kill me." I sharply inhaled, backing up from the wall.

"We're going to practice tonight, maybe tomorrow." I watched as she walked out of the room.

I paced around, gripping my phone as it was still in my back pocket.

It was a week and Isaac was still gone. No trace of him, and not only did it bother me, it bothered Derek.

I mean, Isaac's the only beta Derek has and now that Isaac's gone, he's just a lone alpha, with his ugly side kick, Peter.

I grabbed my phone, dialing the same numbers as it rang.

But the sad part was that I knew he wasn't going to answer.

"Hey, you know who it is." I wavered, still pacing around.

"Can you please come back, Derek and I are worried. And you know, Derek doesn't usually worry like that because he's, you know, Derek." I sighed into the phone, resting my head against the wall.

"Just please, come back Isaac. We all miss you." I pressed the red button, ending the voicemail as I opened the door, leaving the cold room.

///

"What's this?" I asked, already knowing the answer as I looked back and forth between my dad and the cardboard boxes.

"If you're moving to Nevada, you need to put your stuff in boxes. It's not like you can stuff everything in your car and just leave." He explained, beginning to move he boxes into my room.