1.4 ⇛ Injury

C H A R L I E

Chapter 14

As I sat in Ms. Morrell's office, I slightly tugged on my turtle neck. The bruising wasn't that bad anymore.

"Did you know Matt?" Ms. Morrell crossed her arms.

"I don't really think it's fun to befriend psychopaths." I tilt my head.

"How do you feel about his death?" Ms. Morrell continued.

"When you feel like you're going to die, sometimes you just don't care anymore. It feels like everything is moving forward while you're going backwards. Matt held a gun up to my back and he threatened to kill me. I feel relieved that I'm not dead while he's burning in the deepest depths of hell." I explained.

"Did you have any hatred towards him?"

"No, I was fine with him. I didn't like when he decided that sanity is too mainstream so he decided to kill everyone." I looked down at the ground.

"Did he harass you in any way?" She continued with her questions.

"He choked me."

"And why did he do that?" Ms. Morrell leaned forward.

"It feels like your air supply is cut off as black spots form in your vision and the only way you're going to live is if your friend does everything a psychopath wanted him to do." I looked at the ground, not wanting to talk about what happened.

"Maybe that's how he felt when he drowned." Ms. Morrell's suggested.

"He probably felt like he was suffering. Maybe the world was choking him and his real down fall was the water that reached his lungs." I looked up at her.

"Is it hard to talk to your friends?"

"I haven't talked to Allison or Scott. Stiles and I only talked once at lacrosse practice. Allison's mom died and now everything feels a little tough." I fiddle with the hem of my shirt.

"Isaac. I heard you were dating him." Ms. Morrell responded.

"Well, after that night I haven't seen him since. I haven't got any phone calls or text. I guess everything was too much for him. My parents are back and it feels like the next thing I do or just someone in general does, it's going to hurt me." I pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Maybe, you're drowning in your own way."

"What if I don't want to keep drowning?" I run my fingers through my hair.

"If you stop, you'll die. Keep swimming up."

"I have to get to class." I got up, pausing at the door.

"Thank you." I looked down.

"Come back when you want to talk more." Ms. Morrell lightly smiled.

I walked out, the halls empty as everyone was already gone.

I didn't know anything anymore. The only thing I heard was that Erica and Boyd are leaving, probably Isaac too.

As I called him, his voicemail went off and I shakily breathed in the phone.

"Hey uh, I know you're not really returning my calls, but can you please call me back. I don't know where you went and it just feels like I've been left in the dark. I heard about Boyd and Erica leaving, but if you are too... Let me know because I'm going to call it off if you're not going to tell me what you're doing. Call me if you even get this." I hung up, throwing my phone on the seat, it bouncing off on the ground.

I pound my fists down on the steering wheel, breathing deeply as I screamed.

As if everything in the world paused, I felt something switch inside me.