2.1 ⇛ Disagreement

C H A R L I E

Chapter 21

Dinner with my parents were always uncomfortable.

Well, at least it was for me.

I slowly chewed on a steak my dad cooked, the smell of cinnamon and cigars wafting the air.

"Have you researched on Prime Prep?" I looked up to my mom as I stopped chewing on my steak, he room becoming oddly silent.

"Uh, a little." I stammered, the sound of the knife against the plate could be heard as I continued to attack the steak with my knife.

"Isn't it nice? But you need to start your stuff, school starts earlier there." She smiled, the same generic smile on her face.

"Well, what if I don't want to go there?" The room was silent, the air uncomfortable.

"You're going there." I looked over to my dad, his voice was stern.

"But I'm going into my junior year and I have to make new enemies." I whined.

"But you can become a lawyer, or an attorney!" My dad exclaimed, grinning at the thought of his daughter being in some rich field.

"Well, what if I wanted to be an artist?" I chewed on some steak, their facial expression darkened at my suggestion.

"Sweetie, artists don't get a lot of money." My mother chuckled, unfaithful of my future.

"But I don't want to be some lawyer who sits in their office, having a mid life crisis." I waved my eating utensils around, making my point.

"Charlie, you'd barely be able to have a family with the money an artist makes." I furrowed my brows at his remark.

"I don't like children." I rolled my eyes.

"But what if you'd want a son or daughter?" My mom asked.

"Like I've previously said for most of my life, I don't like children." I leaned back in my chair, crossing my legs.

And what if you want a child at one point?" The smile on her face became more fake and plastic as I dropped the utensils on the plate, folding my arms.

"Then I'm most likely insane." I tilted my head, a small smile plastered on my face.

"Well, it'd be best if you were a doctor at least." My father interrupted us.

"Yeah, maybe." I picked up my knife and fork, falsely agreeing with him. I mean, who the hell would I be to become a doctor.

"Can I your keys?" I looked up to my dad, finishing my food.

"Why?"

"I just need to see them for a second." He held his hand out as I reluctantly dropped them in his palm.

I shoved them in his pocket, standing up from the table as he took our plates.

"What? Why are you taking my keys?" I shouted, getting up from my chair as it scraped against the wooden floor.

"So you don't have any ideas of leaving the house at night." He went inside the kitchen as I groaned, pushing the chair back and going to my room.

I threw off my shirt as I exchanged it with a soft white sweater.

I searched my bag, grabbing my laptop as I typed in the password and going to Netflix.