The selection

After the two boys ate their breakfast, Near opened the window and a piece of paper started to fly from their room to
the outside world.

Mello wondered and asked his roommate.

"What was that piece of paper that was blown out of the room Near?"

"Mm what piece of paper?", Near replied with a questioning look, because he didn't see it flying off the window...

He then realized that that was the paper which was given to him by the nurse to set the date of his blood test.
"I guess I will have to ask Roger to give me a copy of. It was about my blood test"

Mello raised an eyebrow.
"Why do you need to do this test so early? Usually students do blood tests in March."

Near looked at the floor with a sad expression. "Ehm...The doctors will see my condition and if my body can take it they will change my stitches. The paper says the date of my doctor's appointment.

The blonde went closer to the albino and whispered into his ear: "I'm sorry. I forgot you were still hurt."

Near went some steps back and fell to the floor. His mind was thinking rapidly "Forgot?"

Mello looked away. "Yeah. I kind of know what happened before you came here, due to Roger telling me."

The memories flashed back to Near's mind, causing him to shiver.
"E-everything?", the small albino shuddered. "He told you everything?!"

Mello was confused. But then it hit him. 'Of course...His parents were killed. It's only logical to be afraid of death and a relative's loss. But, for Near to be so afraid...There must be something more than that. I will eventually have to find it out.'

"No. He only summarized what happened."

The albino let a sigh out of relief. 'At least Mello won't know how pathetic and weak I've been that day'

"Hey Near?", Mello cut the pale boy's thoughts with his curious voice.

"What is it Mello?", Near replied as he started thinking about the possible questions his roommate could ask him.

"You haven't been in any of the selection classes yet. Have you?"

Near was instantly brought back to reality. He wasn't expecting such a casual question. "No, I haven't chosen which of those lessons I will be attempting yet. I have completely forgotten about it..."

Mello looked out of the window and observed the snowy weather. The snowflakes hitting the window, creating different figures was a really exciting and interesting sight to him. He then replied.
"Oh really? That's great! Today we only have selection classes."

The albino was surprised by the blonde's sudden excitement as he watched his lips forming words, continuing talking about the classes.

"I suggest you to choose the art and music classes and of course I 'll tell you why."

"Okay", Near said and gave a small smile to the blonde.

"First of all, you don't seem like a sports person at all. I realized that by remembering what happened a month ago. We were both dashing to class but you were left behind and got lost. So with all that said sports and dance classes are out. Secondly the theater professor is the stupidest of all and I believe she will annoy you.Theater out. Lastly the photography classes are really nothing more than a waste of time. Students rarely even take photographs; they mostly sit and listen to the teacher about technics and stuff but almost never put these into action. Pretty boring I 'd say. Also from my personal experiences the art and music professors are the best at teaching and their lessons are always interesting and challenging."