Human's ego

_Paul's POV_

My hands were trembling as I kept pointing the gun to the man. He stared at me, trying to form a word with his lips. He trembled as well, shocked by my presence, when suddenly he showed me the sharp silver knife, putting it in front of my face, scarring my jowl.

Afterwards, I clenched my hands, a reaction created by the sharp pain combined with my blood which fell like a river. A terrifying scream. The man screamed and teardrops filled his eyes.

"No!", I shouted timidly a second after I had pulled the trigger. "NOO!", I shouted again, louder this time. The man gave me a last emotionless look and fell on the rocky sidewalk floor, dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mello and Near heard a 'bang' from outside and a man screaming out of pain. It was like the bullet hit its target with great speed, piercing its heart, shattering the memories off of the brain. Mello gasped and Near shivered. Somebody had just died.

The police serenes came quickly from the policemen's cars who saw the whole incident. Mello unlocked the door and stepped outside only to see his butler miserable and handcuffed being pushed to get into the police car.

"Paul!?", the blonde shouted and the policemen turned around to face him.

"Mihael. Do not worry. I'm not worth it."
Near was holding Mello's left hand tight as his eyes moved to the place where the dead man's corpse was. Painful memories started being replayed again and again, trying to make him feel weaker, like a failure.

"Do you know this man kiddo?", the head of the policemen started talking to Mello after a while.

"He doesn't know me", Paul replied to him, trying to keep Mello out of the trouble.

"Yes. I do know him. He is my butler and he killed this stalker to protect me and Near", Mello said after he decided to be honest and tell the truth.

The bulky man growled."Why?What did he do to you?"

Paul looked up at his master, sad. "Nothing. I pulled the trigger by mistake when he took out his knife. I was frightened. Even though a sorry isn't enough. I deserve to stay and rott in prison forever."

One of the policemen shouted: "Enough of those fairy tales. Let's get this pile of garbage to prison", meaning Paul.

The albino was touched by Paul's words and understood that it must have been fright that made him kill the stalker. He then moved towards the top policeman and pulled his sleeve.

In the meantime Mello was never taking his eyes off of him.
The man of the law looked at the tiny boy, miffed. "And what do you want ?"

Near took something out of his pocket. A big diamond carved in the shape of a fox.
"If I give you that, you'll let the murderer free."

The bulky man stared at the albino with disbelief. "Do you really believe that you can buy his freedom with a cheap diamond?"

Near looked at Mello who was staring at the policeman angrily. "It costs one million dollars. Now it might be even more valuable than fourteen years ago", he added with a smirk, because he knew for sure that most humans value money more than people.

"And where did you find such a valuable jewel?", the policeman continued as he started taking the albino's offer seriously.

"My godmother gave it to me the day I was born. It is important to me, but take it and let Paul free", Near continued, hoping that this time he would convince the man.

"Tei...Uncuff the man", the leader commanded to one of the policemen.

"B-But sir! He murdered-"
"It doesn't matter. Let him go", he said with a wide smile as he took the jewel off of Near's hands. The albino then moved closer at Mello, who told something to him.

The other man had no other choice but to follow the command. He unlocked and then took off the handcuffs, letting the butler free.

Paul walked happily towards his master and his savior.
"I don't know how to thank you...", he said to Near, feeling grateful. 

"There's no need to-"
Paul then cut him. "Would you like me to give you and Mihael a ride back at Wammy's?"

"Only if Mello agrees", Near said and grabbed the blonde's hand.

"Okay",the blonde said and got into the big limousine hand by hand with the albino. But Near felt like they have forgotten something...Or rather, someone behind.

So when they were driving beside the central garden he spoke:

"What about Matt?",pointing at the garden's door.
"Crap. I completely forgot about the meeting. Paul stop the car", the blonde's voice said and the butler pushed the brake with his green leather shoes.

A familiar redhead was sitting on the bench, playing the new game he bought in his 3ds.
Mello and Near went together to tell him to go with them.
"Hey Matt. Come on, stand up from the bench!", the blonde said but when Matt ignored him, he got annoyed because of his ignorance.

"Wait! I am fighting with Team skull. I have to win first. Oh hi Near", he said as he glanced at the albino for a quarter of a second.

"Hi Matt", Near said and observed the furious expression that was building up in the blonde's face.

"Gagrr!!", Mello growled, ready to take a grip of Matt's shirt and then throw him in the limousine.

Matt snapped and before Mello could do anything, he saw Near's hand holding Mello's with all his power.

"...The hell Near!", Mello growled at the albino this time, but he didn't push his hand away.

Matt immediately stood up and spoke his best to try and calm the blonde. "Hey guys, no need to fight. I'm coming..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the boys went back to the orphanage, they were greeted by Roger. The sky was already starting getting darker; the sunset was now visible.

"So how was your day to town?", Roger asked the boys happily.

"Kinda great", the redhead replied and showed his new videogame to the headmaster.

Afterwards, Roger looked at Mello and Near, expecting them to tell how nice the day has been.

"Not so great", Mello replied to the old man with a frown.
"Why is that?", Roger asked while looking at Near expecting him to give him a proper answer. Instead, the albino gave the headmaster another frown. "It is a long story..."

"Okay. You don't need to tell me if you don't want to."
After hearing Roger's sayings Mello and Near thanked him and returned to their dorm. Matt went to his dorm as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was now 9 pm and the blonde sat into his sofa, opening the TV to watch his favorite action series.

Near sat curiously beside him.
"Do you mind if I join you Mello?"
"No. Not at all."
"What are you watching?"
"Chaos in towns, it's a series"
"Sounds like you", the albino said and giggled only to gain another of those stunning smiles from the blonde.

After some time, Mello carressed Near's white tuffs. They were taking it slowly and that was alright the blonde's point of view. He just had to wait until Near was ready to proceed to a serious relationship with him.

Some thoughts were torturing the blonde's mind for a long time. What if Near didn't know what true love meant and all of those states were created by the shock of being raped in the past? What if he didn't really want him because he thought that being with another guy is wrong?

What if...But in the end all of the blonde's what
ifs vanished. He didn't doubt anymore that Near loved him... Because Near just started kissing him right there and then in the sofa.

Mello's eyes went wide. This was an unexpected turn of events. One that he liked extremely much as well, and that was visible by the way he passionately kissed the younger boy back.

|End of part 20|