Remus Lupin x Severus' best friend!Reader (pandaisbored's Request)

You gazed up in the sky as your best friend, Severus Snape talked about the Marauders and how he hated them. You occasionally hummed, but stayed quiet for the majority of his ramble because you generally liked the boys.

"Sev, Remus isn't that bad," you noted.

He snorted. "He might not join in when they bully others, but he's always there and he does nothing! He's a prefect, for Merlin's sake! Lupin is supposed to stop this, but he only encourages Potter and Black to pull more pranks and bully more people!"

You sat up and played with the grass. It was a sunny day. You and Severus decided to enjoy the great weather outdoors. You looked at your friend and sighed a little. He looked pretty shaken up and you knew exactly why. Potter had shamed him again and this time it had very serious consequences on Severus. He grew grim, he didn't talk for days, he'd lose it every time he saw the boys.

"Remus tells me he always does everything to keep them regulated, but he's just simply not enough to stop the three of them. You have to admit this as well," you said and stole a glance at Severus.

"I know Lupin is your 'friend', but-"

"Sev," you chimed in nervously, "I need to tell you something."

He frowned and nodded for you to go on.

"Remus isn't just my friend. He's... He's my boyfriend."

Severus looked shocked and angry at the same time. He jumped up and looked down on you with disdain. "I honestly don't know what's happened to you lately, but I'm utterly disappointed in you. I thought you were my best friend, but I just don't know anymore. You betrayed me by-"

"By what, Snivellous?"

There stood James Potter with a grin plastered on his face. Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew and your boyfriend, Remus weren't far behind either.

Severus clenched his fists and pressed his lips into a thin line. "It's none of your business."

"You told him, didn't you?" asked James from you.

You just nodded, knowing he was talking about Remus and you.

"I told you this would happen. I told you Snivellous wouldn't understand," said James sincerely. "That's just how he treats his friends. It's nothing personal."

Severus trembled. You stood up, took Severus' hand and started pulling him away. "Sev, let's go."

Sirius, Remus and Peter reached you as well. Remus raised his eyebrows slightly when he saw you holding hands with Severus.

"Yes, (Y/n), let's."

You shot an apologetic look at Remus, turned around and trailed after your best friend.

...

You and Remus could barely meet for the past couple of days, because Severus needed you now more than ever. Your boyfriend -although missing you terribly- encouraged you to spend as much time by the side of your best friend as much you could. Remus understood your friendship with Severus unlike the rest of the Marauders. It had been a rough patch in your life, but you supported Sev no matter what. However, one day a sad and disappointed Remus came to talk to you  and it changed everything.

"(Y/n)," Remus began painstakingly slowly, "you should have just told me... You know, this all might just be a game for you, but it -us- meant the world to me. I've grown to care about you. But knowing that you never did care about me sucks, you know? Fuck, I've fallen for you, but I've learnt my lesson. Next time you fall in love with your best friend, don't make him jealous by getting together with someone he doesn't like - just confess your attraction. Saves a lot of trouble and broken hearts. Goodbye, (Y/n)."

Remus turned around and started walking away. No matter how you begged him to stay and told him how you had no idea what he was talking about, he left you. And you just dropped down on a stone bench in the court by the fountain and started crying. You didn't understand Remus at all.

...

"He broke your heart. He's just like the rest of his friends," said Sev and took a book off of the shelf. The library was almost deserted so the two of you could talk. "I told you so."

"I don't understand why though," you whined and wiped the tears away from your face.

"Because he was jealous of the bond we share."

"That's bonkers, he knew we were only friends!" you snapped and fresh tears welled up in your eyes. "Someone spreads lies about us! Remus thinks I love you and that I was only using him to make you jealous. It's absolute nonsense!"

"He would have thrown you away even if this hadn't have happened," said Sev quietly and turned away from you.

Your head shot up. "Did you know about these rumours, Sev?"

"I started them," he replied and looked at you. "And I'd do it again if I had to. He would have broken your heart either way. I only escalated things."

You jumped up and started him with tears streaming down your face. "A true friend never would have done something like this."

"I had to," Severus said. "He had already had you and you were fed Lupin's stupid lies. Do you think he really cared about you? Loved you? Because if you did, then you really are naive."

"YOU ARE A MONSTER SEV-"

"You..." Remus - who ran in just to pick up a book and accidentally overheard your conversation with Severus - stepped forward from behind a bookshelf.

"You have to choose, (Y/n)," said Severus calmly. He was sure you'd pick him over Remus and he was petrified when you took Remus' hand.

"You are no longer my friend, Severus." You looked at him. "And I love Remus."

Severus stormed out of the library and you started crying again. Remus held you in his arms and soothingly caressed your hair. You held onto him for your dear life. You were incredibly happy to have Remus back, but losing your best friend broke your heart.

"Don't worry, (Y/n)," your love whispered, "we'll get through this. Together. Because I'll never leave your side again." 

(A/n: Ahh Severus breaking our hearts... BUT Remus being there to calm us and hold us! :3)