Remus Lupin x Ex!Reader

"No, no, no, Remus, please don't do this to me," you sobbed

"No, no, no, Remus, please don't do this to me," you sobbed. It felt as if though he'd just ripped your heart out of your chest. You didn't understand how he could do that to you. The two of you made a fantastic couple. You loved each other more than anything in life and he'd meant everything to you. You could accept him for who he was. And now he was breaking up with you.

"(Y/n)," he said in a strained voice. "I... I can't think of anything I could say to make you feel better. I'm sorry."

"Remus, no! Please don't leave me, I can't live without you!" you yelled and held onto the trunk of the tree for support. Your legs felt weak and you hurt so much physically as well that you were afraid you'd faint. "I know you love me. I know, I can feel it! Don't lie to me!"

"I'm not lying. It's over, (Y/n)," he said. "You can't say anything to make me change my mind. Thank you for everything you've given me. Take care, (Y/n)..."

Remus walked away and left you on the shore of the Black Lake. You fell on your knees and sobbed. Words couldn't describe your misery. Lily found you two hours later and helped you back to the castle.

...

"No, no, no, Remus, please don't do this to me," (Y/n) sobbed and I held back my tears. She wouldn't understand it. No matter how much I loved her, no matter how she meant everything to me, I had to let her go. I had to make her leave. Causing her pain was pure torture for me. I had the urge to wipe away her tears, hold her close to me and soothe her until she was calm, but I couldn't do that.

"(Y/n)," I started, but my voice faltered. She wouldn't understand. She wouldn't... "I... I can't think of anything I could say to make you feel better. I'm sorry."

"Remus, no! Please don't leave me, I can't live without you!" she yelled and shook madly. She wouldn't understand that she might not survive living with me. I couldn't be with her. The thought of me hurting her or killing her on a full moon haunted me every night. The further she was from me, the better. She was the only one I truly cared about and that was exactly why I had to protect her.

"I know you love me. I know, I can feel it! Don't lie to me!" she begged me and I trembled. Of course I loved her. And I knew I'd love her till I died. But she wouldn't understand.

"I'm not lying. It's over, (Y/n)," I said. Each word was a dagger in me, but I continued. "You can't say anything to make me change my mind. Thank you for everything you've given me. Take care, (Y/n)..."

I turned my back on my sobbing lover and walked away. Walking became running, until I couldn't carry on anymore and fell on my knees, sobbing my heart out. I wanted (Y/n) with every fibre of my body, but she couldn't be mine. She was better off without me. She would move on from me, fall in love again and have a chance of living a normal life.

...

You drummed your fingers on the table. "Don't you people understand," you said confidently, "that that's exactly what the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters want? They attack randomly to draw us out and hunt us down! They're afraid of the Order as a whole, but alone we're all vulnerable. That's their main aim - to separate us during those attacks and hunt us down one by one!"