~Energy~

i wont let nobody hurt you, wont let nobody break your heart.

Mark:

I roll onto my back, the sunshine hitting my face and making me squeeze my eyes, groaning. I breathe in deeply, and feel around my bed. My heart sinks when I realize that Jack isn't lying next to me.

'Well, why would he be?' The annoying voice in the back of my head asks. 'It's not like you're dating.'

No matter how cruel it seems, it's also very true. There was nothing romantic going on between us. I mean, on his side. I'm married to him and we have five children in my mind.

I flop lazily out of bed, scratching my stomach and yawning. (who else yawned?) I put on my bunny slippers--yes, I do own a pair. I readjust my boxers and then pull on a thin, white teeshirt. I slide on my glasses and then make my way into the kitchen. I'm surprised to see Jack sitting at the table, working on some crossword puzzle from the newspaper.

"Morning," My voice is low and scratchy from just waking up. It's always like that in the morning.

"Top of the mornin' to ya," Jack responds as casually as he can, which makes me hunch over in laughter, which causes Jack to fall into a fit of laughter.

"Oh, man. We just cannot stop laughing," I chuckle and make my way to the coffee pot. I fill it and let it brew, needing something to wake me up.

"We're contagious!" Jack laughs, setting down his pencil. I assume that means he completed his puzzle.

The light on the pot turns green and I pour myself a good cup of coffee.

"Mmm, caffeine," I inhale all the steam that emerges from the hot liquid. Jack asks for a cup himself, and I grab one for him.

"So, what are we doing today?" Jack inquires while sipping on his steamy coffee. I take a gulp of mine and set it on the counter.

"I was going to surprise you, but oh well," I say lightly, leaning over the counter. "We're going to visit my brother, his wife, and kids." (idk if tim is actually married/has kids its just for the story.)

"That sounds like a blast!" Jack's eyes light up, and I'm taken by surprise.

"You'd like that?" I ask, finishing off my coffee and placing it in the dishwasher.

"Heck yeah! I love kids. How old are they?" Jack asks, getting up and putting his own cup in the washer.

"Three and five," I tell him, watching him as he energetically puts the cup away. Does he always do everything with such excitement?

"Yay! I'm so excited!" Jack claps his hands together, which makes me laugh. He sure does have a lot of energy.

There's a moment of silence, and I notice how close we're standing to each other. If I took one step forward, we'd be chest to chest. My heart starts to race at the thought, and I gulp.

"Well, ah," I start to say, not knowing how to handle the situation. "Let's get going."

"Oh, yeah. Can I take a shower first? I don't wanna be smelly for the kids."

"Sure, yeah. I'll just go get ready."

I excuse myself from the room, rushing into my bedroom. I shut the door behind me and leant my back against it. I ran a hair anxiously through my hair, regulating my breathing.

We didn't even touch and I went crazy.

I pull on some clothes, while my mind never leaves the subject of Jack.

'Pull yourself together, Mark', I tell myself, pulling on my shorts.

I exit the room, feeling more composed. But once I see Jack come out in only a towel, my mouth dries and my brain goes fuzzy.

I was in deep shit.

***

I watch Jack run around with the kids, playing some sort of tag as I finish my food. We had dinner outside, and now the children ran loose. That includes Jackaboy.

"Thanks for the dinner, Tim," I smile at my brother warmly, and he returns the gesture.

"I'm just glad the kids have someone to play with. Jack is quite the entertainer," Tim's wife, Lilian, comments. Right away, Jack had hit it off with the entire family. He was polite and warm, and didn't intrude. He was also playful with the kids, but talked respectfully to Tim and Lilian.

"So, do you like him?" Tim asks, taking a sip of his wine. The sun was just starting to set, which was wine time for Tim.

"Yeah, he's my best friend," I say casually, hoping he'd drop the subject.

"Oh, come on, Mark. Give me some credit, you're my brother. I see the way you two look at each other."

"Wait, so you knew I'm gay?" I ask in a low voice, my eyes widened.

"It's obvious."

I sit back in my chair, staring after Jack. They were now climbing a tree, and Jack looks like he's having a blast.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I like him," I admit, never meeting eyes with Tim. Lilian squeals happily and Tim just smiles brightly.

"You two would make a great fit," Lilian informs me, and I raise my eyebrows at her. "He obviously feels the same way about you."

"How do you know?" I ask in a surprised tone.

"I know love when I see it."

"You should tell him, Mark," Tim tells me, and I turn once again to look at Jack. Our eyes lock, and it feels as if time has stopped. Jack smiles a little at me, and I smile back. Then, a kid falls onto Jack and he collapses onto the ground, laughing.

"Yeah, I probably should," I sigh, raking a hand through my hair. When did everything get so complicated? And how come Tim has this all figured out before I do. Well, now I have to confess to Jack. And that's terrifying.

"Okay, I'll do it tomorrow."

***

ik ik im the worst. not updating in forever and leaving you on a cliff hanger. im sorry. shoot me.

and thomas is tim in the book.

i hope you enjoyed though. <3

Xoxo, Alli