~Almost~

As I make my way through the the airport, my luggage dragging behind me and my shoelace slapping the floor in the same rhythm of my heartbeat, I can't stop thinking about Jack and the moment we shared.

Even though I just said my farewell to him, it feels like ages ago that he spoke those three words. I love you. And the thing is, it didn't bother me at all. He looked ashamed when the words slipped from his perfect lips, but I couldn't have been happier. And when I reciprocated my feelings to him, he seemed just as happy as I did.

And we almost kissed.

Damn car.

Now, my feelings are left unanswered. What is it that Jack and I share now? Nothing was left clear, only the phrase that never seems to leave my head. I'm giddy from love, but at the same time confused.

How am I supposed to bring this up to Jack? We'll obviously still collab and text constantly—I can't avoid the subject of a relationship even if I tried.

And what if Jack doesn't want a relationship? I heard a rumor going around that Jack has a girlfriend. If he does, he never mentioned anything to me. And I don't blame him. Plus, it could just be a big scam. But not the point.

I just don't get how I'm meant to bring this up to him. I want this—I want him. But I don't know what to say. 'Hey, Jack. Remember when we almost kissed? Well, I'd like it to become a regular thing.'

Yeah, not going to happen.

I get in line to enter the plane, and after ten minutes of waiting, I take my seat. I get myself situated, pulling out my headphones and phone. After another ten minutes, the plane takes off and I plug in my headphones, turning on my music.

I must have drifted off to sleep, because next thing I know, it's dark outside. I look on the digital map to see we're just hearing the United States. I realize that now Jack and I aren't in the same time zone, and he isn't looking out at the same sky as I am. I wonder if he's thinking of me, and longing for me like I am right now.

'Don't be ridiculous, Mark,' I scold myself. But still, I can't help but wonder.

I fall asleep once again and woke up to the skidding of the plane on asphalt. I pull my headphones from my ears, my skin now super sensitive. I turn my phone off of airplane mode, and my screen fills with notifications.

I go into my messaging app, seeing a text from Bob and one, surprisingly, from Jack.

Bob: Can't wait until your home, buddy.

Jackaboy 💚: I hope you had a good flight home. Text me when you get this.

I take in a deep breath, calming my nerves. I look up and notice everyone getting up, so I decide to respond to the two when I'm better situated. My mind doesn't leave the thought of Jack alone as I pull out my luggage and impatiently wait to exit the plane. Usually, I don't mind the slow moving line off the plane, but now I'm more anxious than ever.

Finally, I reach the end of the ramp and enter the airport. I head directly for the luggage return, and I set my backpack down as I wait for my suitcase to show up.

First, I respond to Bob. You know what they say—sisters before musters. Well, you get what I mean.

Me: Thanks, happy to be back.

Lies. I want so badly to get on the next plane to Ireland and jump into Jack's arms...to finish where we left off.

Next, I reply to Jack.

Me: Hey. The plane ride was good. How's the fort holding out without me?

I decide to be nonchalant and ignorant about the almost kissing thing. We could get into that later. Almost immediately I get a response back from Jack.

Jackaboy 💚: It's very lonely without you. Depressing, really.

I chuckle at his response, but also feel a tug at my heart. I quickly look up and see my suitcase coming toward me, so I grab it swiftly. I emerge out of the airport and into the cool night's air, flagging down a cab. I inform the cab driver of my address and then look down to my phone to respond to Jack.

Me: I'm sorry, wish I could've stayed longer. It's lonely here, too.

The cab driver pulls up in front of my house, and I pay him—tip included—grab my luggage, and head inside. Even though I miss Jack terribly, it was good to be home. I set my bags in my room and collapse onto my bed, sighing in relief.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this bed.

My phone vibrates, showing Jack's response.

Jackaboy 💚: I wish you were here. I miss you, Mark.

I suck in a deep breath, settling my nerves momentarily, before responding.

Me: I miss you, too, Jack. It's late, I should sleep. Night.

I pull the covers over me and turn off the lights, but before I fall asleep, my phone vibrates.

Jackaboy 💚: Night...I love you.

A smile takes over my features, feeling slightly more awake.

Me: I love you, too, my prince.

***

How's that for an update?

Fairly quick, I must say.

Give me some ideas for the next chapter!

Xoxo, Alli.