Chapter Twelve

[Chapter Twelve]

The sun had risen and cats sluggishly exited their dens. Many had stayed up late for Witheringlights' vigil and were all quiet. Routinely, the warriors gathered around Aspenleaf. Tonight there was a gathering. All the excitement that was usually there, was gone.

"Starpool, Midnightsong, Ashcloud and Skysong," Aspenleaf meowed briskly, "You're all on border patrol. Try by Riverclan. If you see anything suspicious let me or Winterstar know right away," The deputy's usual light that was in her eyes had faded like fog in the sun. 

All the cats mentioned nodded solemnly. 

"Lets go," Skysong meowed bluntly, taking the lead. She had been good friends with Witheringlight. This is not just hitting me hard, but her as well, Starpool realized while following her patrol.

 As they exited Aspenleaf's voice could be heard, "Foxsong, Willowcloud, Blackice and Lemonflower, you're on hunting patrol......"

When they entered the territory, everyone was silent. The only sound heard was their muffled pawsteps. "Keep all your senses extremely sharp," Skysong spoke breaking the silence, "You never know what will happen,"

They arrived at the border, seeing a disheveled, paranoid looking group of Riverclan cats looking around wearily. They hadn't seen them yet. Midnightsong stepped on a twig and the Riverclan cats instantly stepped closer together, their fur bristling and their claws unsheathed. 

"Whose there?" A reddish-brown tom demanded, his brilliant green gaze sparkling with hostility that was mingled with....fear and grief? Starpool came to recognize him as Riverclan's deputy, Troutfall. She inspected the rest of his patrol and spotted Moonheart, Fishleap and Brightgaze along with another cat she didn't recognize. By the looks of it, it was an apprentice. 

Skysong raised her tail slightly, signaling to relax before pushing through the ferns. "Greetings," She meowed courteously, "We simply came to mark our borders," She paused before adding, "How is Riverclan?" 

The deputy seemed to have dismissed her courteous behavior and narrowed his eyes, growling.

 "This isn't a gathering," He spat, "We don't care why you came," He nodded to Moonheart and Fishleap, who began to remark their borders while the Thunderclan cats did the same. 

It was awkwardly silent, yet the youngest cat broke the silence. "Ew! Thunderclan cats smell! Why do we have to share a border with them? How can they even pick their way through their territory? Don't they trip? What about brambles? Don't they ever get stuck? Don't they-" The young cats attempt to break the hostility and awkwardness backfired on her. 

"Mumblepaw! Be quiet at once!" Fishleap snapped, his eyes blazing with something other than agitation. Starpool had noticed that the apprentice's curious behavior sounded forced and it came out dull. Once the borders were remarked, Troutfall lead his patrol back to camp at once without bothering to say a quick farewell. 

Skysong had also began to lead her patrol back to camp yet thoughts about the encounter with Riverclan churned in her mind. Why were they acting that way? Troutfall never answered Skysong's question. Starclan, what is going on?! 

The patrol entered camp to see the whole clan gathered around someone, murmuring and whispering anxiously amongst one another. Starpool growled under her breath, muttering inaudibly while the rest of her patrol had joined the crowd. 

What now? 

Pushing her way forward, she nearly did a double-take at what she saw. Thunderheart was back. He was battered and torn, one of his eyes swollen shut and oozing pus. And he was speaking. 

"T-They're coming...f-for..all the clans!"