Part 3

"Take out your books," Professor Trelawney, an old, graying woman with mystic tones and a shawl that seemed permanently attached to her head, drawled, sweeping across the room. "Open them to page 452 and read the first paragraph. Silently. No talking. That means you, Miss Chapman."

Polly looked slightly abashed and glanced down at her book. Ian Thomas, sitting next to her, smirked.

"Tea leaves," Scorpius whispered, horrified. Albus stifled a chuckle, as the image in his Divination textbook depicted a chipped teacup with tea leaves plastered at the bottom, clearly forming a human figure in terrible agony.

"Wizard Photoshop," a voice hissed from the back of the room.

"What's Photoshop?" Albus mouthed to Scorpius. Scorpius shrugged.

"I assure you," Trelawney insisted, her voice rising, "this image has not been tampered with!"

"And I'm the Minister for Magic," Polly whispered.

"Five points from Slytherin." Trelawney glared at Polly. "Now, I am going to give you each a teacup with some tea leaves, and you are going to use the chart to decipher the meaning." She waved her wand, and teacups appeared in front of each student.

Albus peered into his teacup. "Uh...wow, that's a jumbled mess. Okay. Um." He looked up. "What have you got, Scorpius?"

Scorpius was flushed. "Nothing."

"Come on, let's see," Albus coaxed, reaching for Scorpius's teacup. Reluctantly, Scorpius handed it over and Albus examined the contents.

"Love," Albus said in surprise, checking the book. "What does that mean?"

"Dunno." Scorpius snatched his teacup back, red in the face. "Let me see yours, then."

Albus slid his teacup over. "Bunch of mumbo jumbo. Nothing in mine."

Their next class was Herbology, and Scorpius scowled when he saw Emma running to greet them.

"One moment, Emma," Albus said politely. "Scorpius and I need to have a chat." When Emma had nodded and started chatting with Polly, he glared at Scorpius. "Can you behave?"

"I—" Scorpius stammered.

"I don't get it," Albus said. "These mood swings. A moment ago we were joking and laughing, and then Emma comes along and suddenly you're Angry Scorpius. I just don't get it."

"Whatever. I'll be fine." Scorpius turned away from Albus.

"Would you tell me why?" Albus said desperately. "Come on, Scorp. What is bothering you about her?"

"It doesn't matter," Scorpius said sharply. "Let's go."

Albus smiled apologetically at Emma, who trotted over to join them.

"Scorpius, how are you? We haven't really talked," she said, smiling at him. "I guess it probably bothers you that I'm hogging Albus. Sorry about that."

"No worries," Scorpius said gruffly.

Professor Longbottom cleared his throat as they entered Greenhouse 4. "Albus, good to see you, as always. Hello, Mr. Malfoy. Miss Carthowler."

"How come you get first name treatment?" Emma hissed as the Slytherins gathered in a loose knot, distinctly separate from the Hufflepuffs.

"Godfather," Albus whispered.

"Ah."

"Get into groups of three, please," Longbottom instructed. "And each of you gather around one of those green plants there."

Albus and Scorpius glanced at each other immediately. Emma sidled closer to them, and the three made their way over to one of the indicated plants.

"I know what this is," Albus whispered, exchanging a look with Scorpius.

"Gillyweed," Scorpius choked. "Oh god, I thought I'd never have to go near the stuff again."

Emma seemed unconcerned by the presence of the plant, braiding her hair.

"Anyone know what this is?" Longbottom asked. Albus's hand shot up. So did Scorpius's.

"Potter," Longbottom said.

"Gillyweed," Albus answered.

"Precisely. Can anyone tell me what this plant does?"

Both hands were up in a flash.

"Potter," Longbottom said again.

"If swallowed, it helps you breath underwater."

Scorpius looked very sour at not being picked to answer the questions.

"Correct. Ten points to Slytherin I FIXED IT YOU MOTHERFUCKERS NOW WILL YOU LEAVE ME ALONE, although I expect you know this because of your father." Longbottom flashed a smile. "Gillyweed definitely helped him when he was your age."

By the time the class was over, Scorpius was positively fuming.

"Hey," Albus said. "What is wrong with you?"

"D'you think I want to hear all about you and your special father all over again?" Scorpius shouted. "Don't you think I get enough of that on a daily basis?"

"Professor Longbottom brought it up—not me!" Albus defended.

"But you had to be a prat, a know-it-all prat, and answer every question about the gillyweed."

"You had your hand up too, in case you've forgotten!"

Scorpius just looked at him for a moment.

"What happened this year?" Albus asked softly. "Did something happen over the summer with your family? I know it can't be easy in your house after your mom—"

Scorpius shook his head, taking off at a run.

"Scorp!" Albus shouted at his friend. "We have History of Magic next!"

But Scorpius didn't turn.

"Come on," Emma said softly, slipping an arm around his waist. "Let's go."

Shaken, Albus allowed himself to be propelled to his next class.

What kind of friend am I?

What's wrong with Scorpius?

And what can I do?