Part 9

A chorus of cheering erupted as Albus entered the common room.

The precious Hogwarts champion, Scorpius thought. How lovely. Shall we bow at his feet now?

I mean, yeah. But still.

He could tell Albus was trying to catch his eye, but he refused to look up. He knew his feelings would be written all over his face if he did. Plus, he kinda wanted Albus to be miserable right now. Just like he was.

Wow. I am a horrible person.

I'm...just like my father.

Scorpius stood up, as if he could escape his own mind, heading for his room. He didn't expect Albus to follow him, thinking he'd get held up by the mob.

"Thanks, guys," he heard. "No, really. I'm super tired. I'm going to bed...okay, okay, I'll take a Cauldron Cake." There was a pause. "Actually, can I have two?"

A few moments later, Albus appeared in the doorway. Scorpius looked up as he entered.

"Cauldron Cake?"

Scorpius shook his head, staring at the floor.

"Come on. I got one for you." Albus thrust a Cauldron Cake at Scorpius.

"Thanks," Scorpius muttered, staring at it. Chocolate was smeared on Albus's pale hands as he took a bite of his own.

"Scorpius, I didn't ask to be chosen. Just like you didn't ask not to be chosen. If I had it my way, I would have let you be champion. Merlin knows you deserve it, after everything."

"I'm sorry," Scorpius said quietly. "I'm being such a jerk about this. I'm happy for you, really."

"Oh, Scorp."

Scorpius was shocked when Albus initiated the kiss. Albus looked equally as shocked.

"Oh. Wow. Okay." Albus stared at him. "Did you kiss me or did I kiss you?"

Scorpius was speechless.

"I'm pretty sure it was me, wasn't it?" Albus said. "You dropped your Cauldron Cake. You know, it really is delicious, isn't it? I always thought it was some sort of iced filling but actually—"

"You're babbling," Scorpius said calmly. "Albus, what was that?"

"I don't know. Just...can we talk in the morning?"

Disappointed, Scorpius nodded, lying back on his bed. Albus disappeared behind his own curtains, magically sealing them shut. Scorpius didn't hear a peep from him for the rest of the night.

The next morning, he tried to catch him at the door.

"Look," Albus said. "I don't know. Can we just not talk about it?"

"That's not really fair to me," Scorpius said. "Would you figure out your feelings so I don't have to constantly wonder about them?"

"Fine. Just...don't tell anyone, okay?" Without waiting for an answer, Albus strode into the hallway, heading for breakfast.

Max met him at the entrance to the Great Hall. "Hey, Albus!" She nodded at Scorpius. "Albus's boyfriend."

Albus whirled. "He is not," he said, sounding panicked.

"Convincing." Max pushed the door open. "Let's go, I'm starved."

The boys followed Max into the Great Hall. Atticus was already shoveling down toast and bacon.

"Hey, Potter, have you been to check on Carthowler lately?"

Albus shook his head. "I'm going up during lunch."

"I'll come with you," Scorpius volunteered.

Albus shook his head. "That's alright. I'll go alone."

"I want to go with you," Scorpius wheedled.

"I'd rather go alone," Albus said sharply.

"Whoa." Max held up both hands. "Okay. Boys. Calm down."

A blue-clad figure approached the table just then; it was Aurélie. "Erm...Max," she said in the slightest of French accents. "Can I speak to you for un moment?"

"Sure." Max stood up. "Catch you later, Al. You too, Malfoy."

Albus stood up when Max left. "I think I'll go get to class," he mumbled, rushing out the door.

Scorpius stared despondently at his bacon.

Atticus Corner leaned across the table. "What's going on with him?"

"Like I'd tell you," Scorpius muttered resentfully. "You gave Rose Granger-Weasley ammunition for her stupid newspaper."

"Speaking of which...owl post!" Atticus said enthusiastically. Sure enough, dozens of owls were swooping through the air.

"Hey, there's Greenie," Scorpius said as a white bird swooped towards him.

"That's not an owl," Atticus said. "That's a peacock."

"Shut up, it's my dad's. It was a gift from my grandfather."

"It's not green, either." Atticus's fat brown owl had just landed directly on his empty plate.

"My dad named it Greengrass. My mother's maiden name. She's dead," Scorpius explained.

"Oh." Atticus set to untying a letter from his owl's leg. A grin spread over his face as he read it.

"Who's it from?" Scorpius asked, quickly scanning the note from his father before it burst into flames. He quickly swept the ashes under the table.

"My girlfriend. She goes to Durmstrang," Atticus said. He grinned lazily at Scorpius. "How about you, Malfoy? How's your significant other?"

"Corner, I have no reservations about hexing you until you're 2-dimensional."

Atticus laughed. "Come on, we have Transfiguration."

Max met them outside the Great Hall, looking troubled. "Where's Albus?"

Scorpius scowled. "Who cares?"