Part 27

Max hauled him outside. Out of the corner of his eye, Scorpius could see Ian and Emma in a heated discussion down the hall.

"What are you doing?" Max snarled. "That is not what..." She looked both ways, then lowered her voice. "That is not what the Augurey said."

"You don't know what the Augurey told me." Scorpius suddenly had an idea. Pulling the mirror partway out of his pocket, he angled it away from Max. "What does this have to do with ALBUS?"

The mirror grew warm in his pocket. Yes!

"You're supposed to be keeping your distance from him," Max pressed, not noticing Scorpius fidgeting with the mirror.

"That's not what she told me," Scorpius said. "And what's more, I don't want to keep my distance from him."

Max's expression softened a bit. "I know, Scorpius, but that's neither here nor there. If we're going to win—"

"I don't know what the Augurey told you—"

"The Augurey told me to keep an eye on you," Max snapped, checking again that no one was nearby.

"So she didn't tell you anything," Scorpius laughed sardonically.

"Alright, smarty pants. What did she tell you, then?"

"She...well...I'd have to—"

"What, Scorpius?"

Scorpius shut his eyes, knowing Albus was listening to every word.

"She said I have to kill Harry Potter."

Max sighed. "Damn it. I knew this would come. Just not so soon."

"We have to..." Scorpius realized that the mirror was growing colder. Shit. Shit. Albus was no longer listening. "Max, I have to go for a minute."

"No, you don't!" Max said, lunging, but Scorpius ducked her grip and whispered the password to the stone wall, which slid aside to let Scorpius in.

Albus was standing in the middle of the common room, furious.

"You absolute—"

"Come with me, I have to tell you something," Scorpius said hurriedly, propelling his friend in the direction of the stairs. They stopped on the top step as Albus struggled to form his rage in words.

"I know exactly—"

"Listen to me. I was intending you to listen to more of that conversation, but you didn't hear all of it."

"I know you're working for Delphi, and that's all I need to know!" Albus shouted.

"Keep your voice down. I am working for her," Scorpius said. "So is Max."

"Oh. It just freaking figures," Albus hissed. "That's just great, Scorpius. You're really living up to your family name, aren't you. Are you going to tell me now that you're her brother?"

Scorpius stopped dead in his tracks. "I'm trying to sabotage her from the inside, Albus."

A shocked expression crossed Albus's face.

"But, you know, it's so nice you just assumed I went to the dark side," Scorpius said sharply, still stung by the remark.

"Scorpius, I'm sorry."

"Yeah, I expect you are," Scorpius said.

"But you didn't say that immediately, you just announced that you and Max were working for the daughter of the man who killed my grandparents," Albus pointed out. "How long have you been keeping this from me, Scorpius Malfoy?"

Scorpius looked troubled. "All year."

"And..." Albus closed his eyes. "She told you to kill my father."

Scorpius sank down to sit on the top step, leaning his head on his knees. "She'll kill me if I don't, but I wouldn't."

"Oh, Scorpius."

Albus sat down beside him.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want to put you in danger."

"Scorpius, we're in this together, haven't you figured that out?"

Scorpius didn't lift his head.

"She's going to kill me, I'm going to die."

"You are not." Albus tried to stem his fear.

Scorpius straightened. "I am. I'm proud, too, to give my life fighting the Augurey."

"You are not going to die," Albus said fiercely. "Scorpius Malfoy, I love you and you are not going to die."

Scorpius turned. "Say that again?"

"Don't make me repeat it," Albus said. Scorpius knew he was thinking about Emma.

"I won't stand between you and her," Scorpius said. "In fact, it's better if you date her, I won't be around much longer—"

"I won't lose you again," Albus said angrily. "You can't leave me."

Scorpius looked sadly at his friend.

"How long have you got?"

"I don't know for sure, but I'd estimate somewhere around two months," Scorpius said. "Right after the second task."

"The second task." It seemed so trivial, so pointless to Albus now. "Why, this stupid Triwizard thing now? Why always when Voldemort is haunting the world?"

Scorpius glanced at Albus, then looked away.

Sighing, Albus leaned forward and kissed him.

"I'm a terrible person," he mumbled.

"It's okay, I'll take this to the grave," Scorpius volunteered cheerfully.

"You're not going to die," Albus reminded him.

"So you say," Scorpius sighed. "I'm not sure I believe you."

"I won't let you die," Albus promised.

And somehow, Scorpius did believe him.