Part 32

He was supposed to be packing his necessities. A week at home, and then a return to school.

Only, he didn't want to come back to school. He didn't want to go home, really. He didn't want to do anything except join the search to recover his father's body, which so far had been fruitless.

"That awful witch took it," Hermione had said, voice shaking with fury and tears. "She took Harry's body."

And suddenly, Albus couldn't take it anymore. He dropped his bag, and ran. Down the stairs, out of the common room, up the stairs, until he approached the gargoyles flanking Professor McGonagall's office.

"She's not here," one of the gargoyles said. "What do you want, boy?"

"I don't know," Albus said, frustrated. 

"Hey, aren't you Harry Potter's kid?" the other gargoyle asked curiously.

"NO!"

Looking frightened, the gargoyles sprang apart. Albus dashed through them, up the stairs, and into McGonagall's office.

True to their word, she wasn't there, but the portraits were eyeing him curiously.

"What are you doing here?" Phineas Nigellus said snidely. "Surely breaking into the Headmistress's office is against the rules, hasn't your father taught you better than that? I knew him as a boy, arrogant little—"

"My father is dead," Albus snapped.

A collective gasp arose from the portraits.

"You mean to tell me that Harry Potter is dead?" one of them asked.

"It can't be."

Albus turned his head at the sound of a new voice.

It was a portrait of an old man, with half-moon glasses and a long white beard. With a start, Albus recognized his own name—but no, it was Albus Dumbledore.

"How did he die?" Dumbledore asked, looking stunned.

"I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!" Albus yelled. "I came here to get away from everyone who wants to talk about it, not to be questioned about it by—by all of you..."

The door burst open and Professor McGonagall swept in, looking too surprised to be angry that he was in her office without permission.

"Potter, what are you doing here? You should be packing..."

"Packing for what?" Dumbledore asked sharply.

"He's going home for a few days." McGonagall didn't look up. 

"He doesn't want to go home."

Albus lifted his head.

"Don't be ridiculous, Albus," McGonagall snapped. "Come on, Potter, off you go..."

"Minerva, sending him home is not the best thing right now," Dumbledore said. "He's not going to want to come back. He doesn't need his family pressuring him to talk when he's not ready. His friends are what he needs right now."

"Why don't you tell his family that, then?" McGonagall barked, sweeping out of the room. Seizing the opportunity, Albus dashed out after her, nearly colliding with Lily in the hallway.

He hadn't seen his siblings since their father died, and if truth be told, he was avoiding them on purpose. In his head, Lily would be crying, inconsolable, and James would just look lost. 

He couldn't stand seeing James as anything other than brashly confident.

So he tried to duck around Lily, but she grabbed his arm.

"Albus, talk to me for a moment."

"I have to go—pack—"

"No, you don't. Scorpius talked to Mum, and she said you're going to stay. It's only me and James that are going home."

"Okay," Albus said dully. "Say hi to Sirius for me..."

Lily winced. "He doesn't know yet...we're going to break the news when we get home. Listen, Albus," she said, adjusting the strap of her bag on her shoulder, "you can't hide."

"I can so," Albus snapped.

"No, you can't," Lily said coolly. "And Scorpius is going to make sure you don't, so don't even try. You can't hide in a corner and wallow in sadness, Albus." She looked miserable for a moment. "Dad wouldn't want that."

"Don't tell me what Dad wouldn't want," Albus said icily. "Don't you dare."

Avoiding her eyes, he broke into a run down the hallway, heading for the Slytherin dormitories.

"Albus?"

Albus looked up, wished he hadn't.

Hermione stood in front of him, her expression a mixture of grief and pity.

"Hello," he said mechanically.

Hermione handed him a folded piece of blank paper. "Look, Albus...this was your father's...and I don't know if he would have wanted you to have it, but I think you should."

"What's this?" Albus opened it, but it remained as blank as ever. "Aunt Hermione..."

"Just..." she glanced around. "Make sure you solemnly swear that you are up to no good."

She walked quickly down the hall

"Aunt Hermione?"

"Mischief managed."

And she was gone.

Quickly ducking into an empty classroom, Albus pulled out his wand and tapped the piece of paper. "Specialis Revelio!"

Mr. Moony would like to compliment Albus Severus Potter on how much like his father he looks.

Albus dropped the piece of paper. But more words were snaking across it.

Mr. Wormtail would like to add his condolences and apologies.

By now, Albus had figured it out. This was the Marauder's Map. Moony was Remus Lupin, Wormtail was Peter Pettigrew...

Mr. Padfoot would also say that Albus Severus Potter has his father's wit and intelligence, and none of his grandfather's arrogance.

Padfoot was Sirius Black...

Mr. Prongs would like to tell Albus Severus Potter how proud he is, and how sorry he is about the loss of his father.

And Prongs was James Potter. Harry's father. Albus's grandfather.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good," he mumbled, tapping the paper again with his wand. The words on the parchment melted away, and a large crest replaced it.

Messrs MOONY, WORMTAIL, PADFOOT & PRONGS are proud to present...

The MARAUDER'S MAP.