Part 10

At lunch, Albus stumbled into the hospital wing. Much to his shock, Emma was awake.

"Albus!" She visibly lit up. "I heard you brought me here after my cauldron exploded." She shook her head ruefully. "Wish I could have entered the tournament."

Relieved that she was okay, Albus came and sat beside her on the bed. "It's not all it's cracked up to be, I promise."

"So you're the champion." Emma's eyes sparkled. "Go, Albus!"

Albus laughed. "So you really don't know what's going on?"

Emma shook her head. "Nothing. Only what Madam Stuffy will tell me," she said in an undertone. "I know Beauxbatons and Ilvermorny both have their champions picked out too, but other than that, nothing. No one's been to visit me, except Polly and Ian, and they won't tell me anything either."

"I came to visit you once," Albus said. "Missed half my classes."

"You didn't have to do that." Emma's hand landed on Albus's wrist.

"Hey, that's what friends are for."

Emma snickered as the door burst open and Max stampeded into the room.

"Al! We seriously need to talk."

All the humor went out of Emma's face. "Who's that?"

"That's Max, she's the Ilvermorny champion," Albus said. He turned to Max. "Does it have to be now? And please tell me this isn't about Scorpius."

"No, this isn't about Scorpius, you dumbass. I don't really care about your love life. It's kind of a matter of life and death," she said casually. "So, I mean, if you really want to be unprepared for the first task—"

"You know what it is?" Albus shot upright. "Why didn't you say so?"

Max threw up her hands. "I can't really say it with her around," she said, gesturing at Emma. "Hi, Al's friend. No offense meant."

"None taken," Emma muttered, sounding less than sincere.

"Okay." Max turned to Albus. "Are you coming?"

"Can't you just tell me?"

Max sighed, then leaned over and whispered something quickly in his ear.

"I—oh. Oh." Albus stared at her. "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive," she said firmly. "Aurélie told me, and she got it straight from Madam Maxime."

Albus squinted. "And you...you trust Aurélie? You don't think she'd try to trick you?"

"I know Aury," Max said confidently. "She used to go to Ilvermorny before her parents moved back to France a few years ago. She wouldn't try to sabotage me."

"Okay," Albus murmured. "If you really think you can trust her...I suppose it wouldn't hurt to be prepared for that."

Max gave a huff of relief. "Good. We really don't need a dead champion." With that, she turned and breezed out the door, flicking a wave at Emma.

"I don't like her," Emma said petulantly.

Albus shrugged. "She's okay."

Emma huffed and leaned back against her pillow. "When's the first task?"

"The twenty-fourth of November," Albus said.

"Are you gonna tell me what it is?" Emma wheeled.

Albus shook his head.

"Why?" Emma demanded.

"You'll see," Albus said mysteriously. "I should get to Transfiguration. I'll see you later, Em."

She grinned, dropping all pretense of being annoyed. "Bye, Albus!"

Grabbing his stuff, Albus hurried to Transfiguration. Scorpius was already sitting in his usual seat, and Albus scooted in next to him.

"Well, Emma's doing okay," Albus said cheerfully.

"Good to hear," Scorpius sniped.

Albus slammed his fist on the desk, his mood darkening instantly. "What is wrong with you?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe you're acting like a jerk?" Scorpius hissed. Lowering his voice, he said, "I kissed you, which was a mistake, and you went snaky. But then you kiss me, and you still go snaky. I think you owe me an explanation, Albus Severus."

"I don't owe you anything," Albus said flatly.

"Great." Scorpius stood up. "Nice knowing you, Potter."

"So that's it?" Albus threw up his hands. "What about..."

"What about what?" Scorpius said savagely, stalking over to another desk and sliding in with Olivia Davis. He whispered something to her, and she giggled.

Angrily, Albus slammed his textbook open, almost squashing the puffskein he was supposed to be transfiguring into a handbag. 

"Let's see it, then, Potter," Professor Regres said briskly. Still angry, Albus only made the puffskein sprout a handle.

A triumphant whoop echoed from behind him. Albus whirled to find Scorpius clutching a fuzzy yellow handbag.

Beside him, Olivia cheered, leaning over to kiss his cheek.

Rage boiled over in Albus and he spent the rest of the lesson sitting at his desk, staring at his puffskein, wishing Scorpius had never kissed him.