Part 6

"How's she doing?" Atticus whispered.

News of Emma's accident traveled fast, and everyone was asking Albus how she was doing, what exactly happened, as if he were the only eyewitness account. He'd gotten quite a lecture from McGonagall about skipping classes, but he was less than concerned about that. All he cared about was Emma.

"Not great," Albus murmured. "She's got a gash in her cheek, so don't say anything about it or act surprised when you see her next, okay?"

Atticus shook his head. "You're a good friend, you know that?"

A girl from the Hufflepuff table, Emily Boot, darted up, leaning over the table. "Word is, Albus is in looooooove with Emma," she whispered. "Just wanted to let you know."

"What?" Albus exclaimed. He hadn't even given a thought to it, save when Scorpius interrogated him. He knew his status with Emma was purely platonic. On his side, anyway. "Says who?"

Emily shrugged, white-blonde hair cascading too close to Albus's dinner. "Rumor has it Malfoy started that."

"Scorpius?" Albus twisted round in his seat to look at his friend, who was pointedly looking away from his seat far down the table. "No..."

"Yup," Emily confirmed. "No worries if you are, though." She raised an eyebrow. "Are you?"

Albus shook his head. "Definitely not. She's just my friend."

"That's what I thought," Emily said. "You don't seem...that type, if you catch my drift."

Albus squinted, definitely not catching her drift. Emily simply winked and strolled back to her table.

Atticus chortled. "Oh, man. She just outed you right there."

Albus glanced at him, puzzled. "Huh?"

"Dude."

"Can someone tell me what's going on?" Albus demanded. "Because apparently no one has accurate information here, but they're passing it around anyway."

Atticus sighed, leaning across the table. "See, mate, the thing is—some blokes are attracted to girls, some aren't."

"Oh. Oh. You're asking me if I'm gay?" Albus shook his head. "No, I'm not."

Or am I?

He shook his head, banishing the thought.

"Whatever you say, man." Atticus forked a green bean and waved it around. "But if you admit it I could totally set you up—"

"I'm not!"

Atticus put his hands up in surrender.

Farther down the table, Scorpius was scowling fiercely at his plate.

As Albus took a swig of pumpkin juice, the room quieted. He looked up to see Professor McGonagall standing at the front of the room.

"Students," she said. "The time has come to make an important announcement."

And twenty minutes later, Albus was staring at the Goblet of Fire. Open to fourth-years and above, after the rule change.

"It has been decided that fourth-years are most decidedly equipped to participate," McGonagall had said. 

"Are you gonna put your name in, Potter?" Emily asked, jostling him forward. "Come on. Potter! Potter! Potter!"

"Seriously?"

"Potter's gonna do it?"

"Following in his father's footsteps."

"Come on, Potter!"

The Slytherins started the cheer, and then the Hufflepuffs joined in, then the Ravenclaws. The Gryffindors stood silently.

Then Rose stepped forward and put her name in. The Gryffindors burst into loud hoots and cheers. Lily scowled, too young to participate.

Taking a deep breath, Albus stepped forward and added his name. The chanters whooped.

All except for one person, anyway.

Scorpius stepped forward, dropping his name in as well. But no one cheered. No one hollered and whooped. They just looked at him.

"Go, Scorp," Albus said loudly. A halfhearted cheer finally rose from a few of the Slytherins. Scorpius just looked sad, walking away.

"The other schools are arriving tomorrow," Polly said in Albus's ear, squeezing his arm. "Isn't it exciting?"

Albus thought about Emma. About Scorpius. About his mountain of homework, and missing two classes. And now this potential triathlon that he was potentially going to partake in. He thought he might explode from stress.

"Yeah," he said flatly. "Really exciting."

He left the Great Hall, heading for the dungeons. All he wanted was to curl up with a book, pull the curtains shut, and forget about everything.

But when he got to the dorm, he saw that was not to be, as Scorpius was clearly distressed. Again.

"You've got to tell me what's bothering you," Albus said, sitting beside his friend. "Look, I can't help you if—"

Needless to say, it was a shock when Albus suddenly found himself being kissed.

By Scorpius. Scorpius Malfoy. His best friend. Scorpius.

Scorpius is kissing me.

Albus jerked backward, gasping.

Humiliation was written all over Scorpius's face. He got up, grabbing his broomstick, and dashed out of the dorm.

Albus didn't call after him.