Part 22

"Now, the first thing you should know is that on Christmas Eve, we are going to have a traditional Yule Ball," Professor Bones announced.

Polly gasped. Emma grinned.

"Now, traditionally, the champions open the dance with their partner—"

A what?!?

"—and then the rest of the students join them," Professor Bones finished. "Dress robes are required if you wish to attend, and there is to be no inappropriate activity." She stared at all of them. "I will be seriously disappointed if anyone in Slytherin House breaks these rules. I trust I do not need to bore you further with the regulations, as they should be clear. All school rules still apply. I would like to impress our international guests.

"Now with that over with..." Professor Bones smiled. "How's for a little dance lesson?"

An hour later, Albus was hurrying out of the hall, Emma at his heels.

"A partner?" he hissed. "How am I supposed to—ugh, I can't believe this! I can't dance!"

Emma rolled her eyes skyward. "Ian's going to ask me, I can feel it. I hope someone else asks me before he does."

A crazy idea entered Albus's mind. "D'you—would you want to go with me?"

Emma raised an eyebrow. "Really? You wouldn't mind that?"

"Mind it? It would be great," Albus smiled. "So, yes?"

"I'd love to go with you, Albus." Emma freed her long hair from her bag strap. "I just think—a lot of people will be expecting you to go with S—"

"I would never go with him," Albus said flatly.

Emma shrugged. "Well, they all know I'm your friend, so I guess it won't be a big deal."

She grinned and bounced down the hall towards the common room.

"Friends," Albus echoed. "Right."

That night, Emma seemed particularly cheery.

"Max, could you pass the salt?"

Max squinted suspiciously. "Why are you so happy?"

"Accio Salt!" Emma rolled her eyes as the saltshaker zoomed across the table. "Do I need a reason to be in a good mood?"

"Wow. Who are you and what did you do with Emma?" Albus remarked. Emma giggled.

She giggled.

Emma doesn't giggle.

"Are you giggling?" Max echoed Albus's thoughts.

"So what if I am?" Emma shrugged. "At least I'm not cynical, like some people at this table."

"Psst. Albus." Atticus leaned across the table. "Have you talked to Scorpius recently?"

"Uh, no," Albus said a little too sharply. "Why?"

"Well..." Atticus made no move to lower his voice. "Emmett told me that Yvette told him that Elaina told Yvette that Polly told Elaina that Ian told Polly that Remie told Ian that Anna told Remie that—"

"Will you get to the point?" Albus demanded.

"Marina told Anna that John told Marina that Malfoy was crying in the boys' bathroom today," Atticus finished.

"And why would I care?" Albus stabbed a potato moodily with his fork.

"Stop bothering Albus about Scorpius," Emma jumped in. "He doesn't need to hear this."

"On the contrary, Emma dear, I thought he'd be interested," Atticus said.

"Don't call me dear or I'll jinx your sorry ass into Christmas," Emma warned.

The banter lightened the mood and Scorpius was forgotten. The only worry on Albus's mind was his Potions homework that was due in the morning.

Later that night, Albus didn't even notice Scorpius stalking by angrily as he sat next to the fireplace, Emma by his side, her blonde curls spilling over his shoulder as she focused on Summoning spells.

"Will you quit that?" Albus snorted as a green throw pillow came flying across the room and whacked him in the head for the fifth time.

"I'm practicing," Emma said, throwing the pillow back where it belonged. "Accio quill!"

Albus's quill gave a tug, but he held onto it. "I don't think so."

"Rude." Emma set her wand down next to her and leaned her head on Albus's shoulder. "I'm so tired."

"Get to bed, then," Albus suggested.

"But I don't want to do that," Emma said pensively. "I want to stay here and annoy you."

Albus grinned, looking down at his parchment; he only needed three more inches. He began scribbling. "Do you know what a bezoar looks like?"

"Yeah, it's...it's round and brownish, and sort of smooth."

"Thanks." Albus wrote quickly in the biggest lettering he could get away with, then rolled up the scroll of parchment. "Oookay. I'm done."

"Want to play chess?"

"Yeah, let's."

As it turned out, Emma kicked butt at Wizard's chess, and by eleven o'clock when most of the common room had emptied, she was crushing his pieces one by one.

"What's going on?" Ian, who had been casually watching their game from the sofa, wandered over. "Go, Emma."

Emma shot Albus a grin, nudging her queen forward to take out his bishop. "Thank you, Ian."

Albus groaned as his last defense was demolished.

"Checkmate," Emma crowed.

"I give up," Albus said, pushing his king towards Emma. "Take it. You win."

"Thank you." Emma jumped up and gave a mock curtesy.

Ian sidled closer to Emma. "Congratulations."

Emma gave him a quick smile. "Thanks. It just helps that I can kick Albus's butt at everything else," she said, nodding in Albus's direction.

"Oh, yeah, right!" Albus scrabbled for his wand.

"Expelliarmus!" Emma cried, and Albus felt his wand fly out of his hand and hit the far wall. "You were saying?"

"I was saying nothing," Albus said convincingly, backing away towards his wand. "Nothing at all."

Emma smirked, and turned her attention to Ian. "I think I'm going to go to bed. Night, Ian." She waved. "Night, Albus!"

"Wait, Emma." Ian put a hand lightly on her arm. "Would you...do you want to go to the Yule Ball with me?"

Emma bit her lip. "I'm sorry, Ian, I already promised Albus I'd go with him."

Ian looked bemused. "Albus? As in, Albus Potter?"

"The very same," Emma said. "Sorry."

She hurried away up the stairs.

"What the hell, Potter?"

"If you want me to apologize, it's not going to happen," Albus said pointedly. "I'm going with Emma, I asked her first and she said yes."

"But—why? Why would you go with her?"

"Because I want to," Albus said, meeting his gaze directly. "And it's really none of your business who I go to the Yule Ball with."

He turned and strode up to the boys dorms, ignoring Ian's stare.