Part 25

Scorpius scrubbed at his eyes, forcing himself to shut everything out of his mind. Thank Merlin for Occlumency.

She was waiting for him deep within the woods, perched like a shadow in the trees.

"Where is Maximum?"

"She's still at the Yule Ball," Scorpius said.

Delphi slid out of the tree, landing lightly on the ground in front of Scorpius.

"Little boy angel," she cooed. "You look like one, with that pale hair of yours."

Scorpius stood in front of the Augurey, waiting.

"Your first task," she said, "is to kill Harry Potter."

Scorpius's mouth almost dropped open, but he managed to keep a straight face, keeping his mind locked shut.

"Of course, Augurey."

She almost smiled. "When you return with proof of his death, I shall brand you with the...newly redesigned Dark Mark," she said. "It is only a matter of hours until they discover that I am missing from Azkaban, and I need all my followers behind me."

Scorpius nodded.

Don't think about Albus. Don't think about Albus.

"You are good friends with the Potter boy, I feel sure you can accomplish this," she said. She smiled conspiratorially. "He's quite attractive, isn't he?"

Scorpius went pale.

"I may not be able to see into your head, Scorpius Malfoy, but I can see what's written all over your face," Delphi said. "Date him, if that makes your job easier."

"I can't," he said through clenched teeth. "We—had a disagreement."

"I'm so sorry to hear that," Delphi said coldly. "I trust it won't interfere with your job?"

Scorpius shook his head, willing the pain and guilt and longing he was feeling not to show on his face.

"Dismissed," Delphi told him. "And for the love of Merlin, tell Maximum I need to see her immediately."

Maximum. The Augurey had a code name for everyone. Except him. She just called him little boy angel. Like he was meaningless, a pretty diversion.

What was he thinking? He couldn't do this. Max was wrong.

I'm a kid. I'm a fourteen-year-old kid with the weight of this war on my shoulders.

I don't need romantic issues, too.

Max was at the edge of forest, dressed in her traditional casual outfit when he emerged. She wore a black cape over her black jeans and sweater.

"She wants a word," Scorpius told Max.

"Of course she does," Max sighed, scuffing the snow with her boots. "I'll be back soon, make sure no one notices I'm gone."

Scorpius had no intention of covering for Max. He just wanted to crawl into bed and forget the world existed. But something in the common room prevented that.

Well, someone. Someone angry.

"You have no right!" Albus was shouting.

We were the best of friends, Scorpius thought. He used to be the one I would live in eternal darkness with. I jumped off a train with him. I went back in time with him.

I don't much like my life without him in it.

"Albus Severus," Scorpius interrupted. "I'm too tired to be angry, so can we please continue this discussion in the morning?"

"But—" Albus sputtered.

Scorpius shook his head. "I have quite a few things I want to say, but now is not the time."

"Well, you have no right—"

Scorpius strode off, ignoring Albus stammering behind him. Too tired to change, he fell onto his bed wearing his dress robes and was instantly asleep.