Part 7

Scorpius jumped on his broom and took off, flying at breakneck speed around the Quidditch pitch.

Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. Moron. He hates you now. He's going to hate you forever.

He'd seen what was in his best friend's eyes. Shock. Understanding. A little bit...he thought...a handful of disgust.

Oh, God.

Maybe if I run into a tree he'll forgive me. Maybe if I'm lying there like Emma.

Tears blurred his eyes, and he aimed directly for the ground, whistling towards it before pulling up at the last second.

I can't do that. Dad would have my head for wrecking this broom. If I didn't lose it already from the crash.

Maybe Albus would like that, if I was out of the way.

Landing gently on the ground, he stumbled to a tree out of sight of the castle, collapsed next to it, and cried.

Hours later, when the sky was dark, and Scorpius was half asleep, a figure emerged out of the inky blackness, but he was too tired to protest as Albus half-lifted him, covered them both with the Invisibility Cloak, and trudged wearily back to the castle.

The next morning, Scorpius woke in a tangle of blankets and misery.

"Malfoy."

He turned blearily to look. Emmett Finch was standing next to his bed, looking concerned.

"Finch?"

"You were..." Emmett shifted uncomfortably. "You kept saying 'Albus' in your sleep." He looked away. "He left eventually to go sleep in the common room."

Oh God. Oh God, oh God.

"I'll talk to him. Thanks for the heads up." Scorpius vaulted out of bed, getting changed quickly.

"Something on your mind?" Emmett asked.

Scorpius laughed without humor. "There's a lot on my mind, Finch."

Emmett let the subject drop. At the first opportunity, Scorpius bolted, thinking he might be able to just get past Albus to the door—

And slammed right into Albus on the staircase.

The two boys stared at each other.

"What was that, last night?" Albus sounded uncharacteristically harsh. "I get it, you like me or something, but you don't have to publicly declare that you're dreaming about me."

"Sorry," Scorpius sneered. "I'll just try to control myself. In my sleep. Next time, I give you full permission to put a Silencing Charm on me."

Albus blanched. "Scorp—"

"No." Scorpius shoved past him. "You don't get to call me that anymore."

"I'm guessing you're forgetting who came to get you from the Quidditch pitch last night when you were weeping yourself to sleep," Albus reminded him gently. "Look, Scorp...ius, this friendship will only be ruined if you let it be ruined."

"But you don't...you don't return my feelings," Scorpius hedged, bracing himself for the answer.

A strange look flashed across Albus's face before his face closed. "No."

Scorpius inhaled sharply, then slowly walked down the staircase. Albus followed.

"What are you doing? You were going upstairs."

"To find you, you moron." Albus gave him a quick smile. "Come on, you look like you could do with some breakfast."

Reluctantly, Scorpius cracked a small smile.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I'm really sorry."

Albus shook his head. "Can we put it behind us?"

"Yes. Done." Scorpius pushed open the door.

A whoop echoed from down the hall. "Potter and Malfoy!"

Scorpius stiffened. Albus looked...resigned.

Not surprised.

Scorpius whirled on his friend. "Albus?"

Albus sighed. "It's entirely possible you didn't go unnoticed."

Scorpius stared, flabbergasted.

"HEY!"

"Good lord," Albus mumbled. "It's Rose. Scorp, I'd consider running."

"What's the story circulating?" Scorpius asked through gritted teeth.

Albus lifted a shoulder. "The truth, really. You kissed me. I rejected you. You went running off. Atticus Corner saw it."

"Bloody hell," Scorpius swore as Rose approached them.

"WHAT—WERE—YOU—THINKING?" Rose shouted, shoving Scorpius against the wall. "YOU DO NOT KISS MY COUSIN WITHOUT HIS CONSENT, WHICH HE IS NEVER GOING TO GIVE, YOU—"

"Easy there, Rosie," Albus mumbled as Scorpius struggled against her anger.

"Rose—"

"DO NOT SPEAK."

"Get off me, Rose!"

With a huff, she let him go, drawing her wand and pointing it at him.

"Albus," she said. "You are not to associate with him. I've owled Aunt Ginny—"

"You WHAT?" Albus exploded.

Rose continued, "—and I'm sure she and Harry will agree."

"You don't get to make that call," Albus spat. "You've only heard rumors."

In answer, Rose brandished a copy of the Hogwarts Inquirer. The front page displayed an image—moving, of course, like all wizard photographs—of Scorpius kissing Albus, an Albus pushing him away. A FRIENDSHIP IN PIECES, the headline read.

Albus stared, horrified. "Our friendship is not in pieces!"

"It had better be," Rose warned. "Or I'll owl Aunt Ginny again. I can't imagine she's pleased."

"Stay out of this, would you?" Scorpius hissed.

Rose fixed him with a scathing look, raising her wand. "I suggest you shut your mouth, or I'll shut it for you."

"Let's go." Albus grabbed Scorpius by the arm, dragging him to the Great Hall.

But somehow, everyone seemed to have a copy of the Hogwarts Inquirer, save a good number of the Slytherins. But Atticus, ever loyal to Rose, was waving a copy.

"I bloody knew it," he said.

"If you didn't notice," Albus said, dripping sarcasm, "that was kind of none of your business. But thanks. Really."

Atticus shrugged. "News, man."

"Rose's stupid paper," Albus grumbled. "Also, the Hogwarts Inquirer? That's the dumbest name in the history. It's dumber than the Quibbler, and that's saying a lot."

"Albus," Scorpius said under his breath. Albus ignored his friend, picking at his eggs.

"Hey." Atticus leaned towards them. "Look on the bright side. The other schools arrive tomorrow, and we'll know who's participating in the tournament. Nobody'll care about the kiss."

"Oh God," Scorpius groaned. "That's all we need. More stress."