Part 38

Scorpius was shaking again.

Albus knew he'd been an absolute wreck since Max died, and could only imagine what was going on in his head, and it was getting worrying.

Hundreds of Ilvermorny students were gathered together. There were kids from Thunderbird who Albus could see were crying, and the rest of the school was in a somber mood.

Next to them were all of the Beauxbatons students, perfectly organized, no tears. At the front stood Aurélie, standing just as silently as the rest of her school, sadness etched upon her face.

And then Hogwarts, grouped by House, were gathered next to Beauxbatons. The Slytherins stood at the front, Albus and Scorpius nearest to the coffin.

Max's body would be transported back to America to be buried, but a brief funeral was being held that day.

The sun was shining brightly, too brightly, Albus thought. It should be raining.

The crowd quieted, and Professor McGonagall stood at the front of the congregation.

"First and foremost," she said, "owing to the death of one of our champions, I'm sure you will all be glad to hear that the Triwizard Tournament has been suspended."

Albus felt a wave of relief. Next to him, Scorpius let out a breath.

"Today, we are here to celebrate the life and mourn the death of Max James, a student of Ilvermorny School..."

Albus tuned out briefly as a bird passed overhead. A thunderbird.

The bird called out once, a sharp note, and then wheeled away, skimming over the trees. Albus knew it was Max's last farewell.

"And...we're going to hear a few words from Albus Potter, a good friend of Max's," Professor McGonagall said.

Albus was still watching the bird as he got up and approached Max's coffin, tapping it once, lightly, as he turned to face the crowd.

"I didn't know Max long," he started. "But I remember the first day we met.

"She came and sat right down at the Slytherin table, not hesitating to make friends, to talk to people she didn't know. And the thing about Slytherin is that we have a reputation. We're the mean house, they call us, the evil house, and she must have known that. But she came and sat down anyway. She gave us the benefit of the doubt, and that will always be my first impression of her.

"Max was smart. She knew ways into a castle she was only visiting that no one else did. She was smart enough to see past walls that we put around ourselves, and she always saw into the heart of the matter.

And she was brave. When the Augurey escaped, she didn't hesitate to put herself in a position she knew she probably couldn't get out of alive. She knew the risks of trying to stop her, and she took them. She wasn't the only person who did so; my best friend Scorpius Malfoy did the same, and they're both braver than I'll ever be.

"There aren't enough words in the world to describe Max James," Albus said, taking a deep breath. "Max was funny, smart, cutting, brave, strong...the girl took no crap from anyone, and I'll always admire that about her. She could have won the Tournament with one hand, and she probably did, but she chose to help me when she didn't need to, and I wouldn't have managed either of the tasks without her help.

"Max...you didn't deserve to die. And I hope wherever you are now, you're flying in peace."

Albus looked up as every single student and teacher started to clap. Aurélie had tears streaming down her face as she and the Beauxbatons students applauded politely.

But Albus was only looking at one person, who had stopped shaking and was smiling for the first time in days.

He walked back to his spot beside Scorpius as the boy Max had met in the woods walked up to the front of the crowd.

"You just crushed every Slytherin stereotype ever," Emma breathed in Albus's ear. "That was amazing."

"Thanks." Albus shot her a brief smile.

"I miss her."

"Me too."

Albus could almost feel Max's presence from the trees, knew she was laughing at his speech.

And before he knew it, the students were dispersing, walking away, heading back towards the castle.

"Come on, Albus," Scorpius said softly. "Let's go."

Albus swallowed and nodded, glancing back towards the forest, catching the briefest shadow in the sky and the sound of a high note echoing through the air.

It felt a little like a weight was lifted off Albus's chest.

"Let's go," Albus echoed, turning back to the castle. "Let's go home."