Part 5

Albus glanced up as the door opened.

Scorp!

Scorpius slid into the seat next to him as Professor Bones approached the front of the classroom. Her wild red hair bounced as she smiled brightly at them all.

"Good afternoon, and welcome to Potions!"

Albus looked at Scorpius. "You okay?" he mouthed. Scorpius dipped his head once, remaining focused. 

"Today we'll be starting with more of a challenging potion," she said. "As you know, next year are your O.W.L.s, and I want to make sure you're adequately prepared." She gestured around the room. "You're going to be brewing a Draught of Living Death. And be careful!" She wagged a finger. "We don't want any of you out cold on the first day of school!"

Several students snickered nervously, pulling out their books and flipping to the correct page. 

"Can I...share your book?" Scorpius whispered, leaning over so that his shoulder brushed Albus's. "I...I forgot mine."

"Yeah. Of course." Albus slid the book between their cauldrons, taking note of how Scorpius looked. He still looked pale, but he seemed to be okay, if a little reserved. Albus breathed out a quiet sigh of relief. He still didn't understand what was going on with his friend, but it wasn't his business.

"We need...an infusion of wormwood," Albus murmured, leaning over the book. "And powdered root of asphodel." He looked up, only to find that Scorpius was leaning over the book as well. Their faces were mere inches apart. 

The boys locked eyes. Scorpius looked shell-shocked, mouth hanging slightly open. 

"Scorpius?" Albus frowned. "You okay?"

Scorpius shook his head, as if to clear it. "Yeah. Fine."

"Nargles got you?" Albus joked. "That's what my dad's friend Luna always said, before she died." He reflected for a moment on the slightly crazy but nevertheless kindhearted woman. "I miss her. You know, my sister's middle name is Luna, because of her."

Scorpius appeared to be paying very little attention, focusing on the recipe as if it were fascinating and required 110% of his concentration. "Yeah," he mumbled.

"Scorp, are you oka—"

There was a sizzle from across the room and Emma's cauldron exploded with a bang, catching her full in the face.

Albus was on his feet. "Emma!"

Professor Bones hurried forward. "Oh dear...Miss Carthowler?"

Emma was lying unconscious on the floor, her arm twisted at an unnatural angle and a chunk of cauldron lodged into her face.

Albus hurried forward. "I'll take her to the hospital wing," he volunteered. 

"Please do that, Mr. Potter. And...yes, Miss Chapman," she said, as Scorpius stepped forward, about to volunteer. Albus caught his eye with a slightly panicked look.

"It's okay," Scorpius mouthed. Albus nodded and, with Polly's help, lifted Emma. She looked terrible.

"Is she going to be okay?" Polly whispered, panicked, as they hurried out of the classroom and down the hall.

"I don't know," Albus mumbled.

When they arrived at the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey let out a shriek.

"Good heavens! Put her down here. Explain what happened. Now!"

"We were in Potions," Albus said as Madam Pomfrey fussed over bottles of potions. "We were brewing a Draught of Living Death, and her cauldron exploded, right in her face."

Polly let out a low wail.

"Oh, goodness gracious. I'll see what I can do for her." The healer had a worried expression. "Oh, someone'll need to tell Dumbledore about this," she mumbled.

"Ma'am...Dumbledore doesn't teach here anymore," Albus said slowly. "He's been dead for twenty-three years."

Her head jerked up. "Right. Right." She resumed muttering over Emma's still form. "You...you can go back to class."

Polly sniffled. "Ready, Albus?"

Albus shook his head, staring at Emma. "I...I'd like to stay here for a while, I think," he said quietly. "Tell Professor Bones I'll do any make-up work she has later. And...tell Scorpius Malfoy where I am, please."

Polly nodded quickly, dashing out the door. 

Albus pulled up a chair and stared at Emma's face. The shard of cauldron had been removed, and Madam Pomfrey was attempting to heal the gash that sliced her cheek in two, but it was obvious that she would have a scar.

At least it's not in a lightning shape, Albus thought wryly.

He wasn't sure how long it was when the door to the hospital wing opened and a familiar pale, narrow face peered in.

"Albus?"

"Hi, Scorp," he said, his voice flat.

Scorpius walked over to him. "You're going to miss DADA. You already missed Care of Magical Creatures, and you know McGonagall is going to be fuming."

"I don't want to go," Albus said quietly. "I don't want to leave Emma here alone."

Scorpius shook his head, his face twisting. "Maybe I don't want to be alone either."

Albus turned to him. "Scorpius—"

"God, you lied to me. Or you were wrong. I was wrong! I knew you liked her. I shouldn't have even..."

"Scorpius," Albus hissed, shocked. "What the hell is going on with you?"

Scorpius stared at the ground. "I can't do this."

He turned and bolted out the door.

"Scorpius!" Albus shouted.

He glanced at Emma again.

Stay with her?

Or go after him?

Emma needed him. And...he needed her. She was a friend. A good friend. He needed to be there for her.

On the other hand, Scorpius needed him too. And something was clearly eating at him.

He's just going to have to learn that I have other friends, Albus resolved, reaching over to take Emma's hand. 

And if he can't handle that, so be it.