Part 11

"Only a few weeks, huh?"

Emma set her books down next to Albus at the Slytherin table, grinning up at him. It was October 31st, and Scorpius had not spoken to Albus in two months. The Scorpius-shaped hole in his life was gradually being filled with other things: undercover Quidditch games on Friday nights, right under the teacher's noses; Emma was out of the hospital wing and after he'd had to make it clear that he wasn't interested in her romantically, she told him that being just his friend was still worth it, so he spent nearly all his time with her; he'd broken down and asked Rose for a photographer's spot in the Hogwarts Inquirer, which Rose granted delightedly ("We need a bit of celebrity kick!" she'd said excitedly); and he was constantly puzzling over the first task in the Triwizard Tournament, which was coming nearer and nearer.

Albus nodded, making room for Emma to slide in. "Why do you have your books with you?"

Emma shrugged. "I'm hoping to run over to the library after DADA, since it's our only class this afternoon. Want to come? You could use a bit of preparation for the first task." She raised an eyebrow.

Albus sighed, knowing he'd hope she'd tell him. "I'm fine, Em."

"Sure," she smiled. "Because you have a record of being prepared."

Albus rolled his eyes. "I can't anyway. Rose roped me into the decorating committee."

Emma raised a delicate blonde eyebrow. "You know who else is going to be there?"

"Don't say it," Albus pleaded through gritted teeth, thinking of a certain pale-haired boy.

"You sure you're going to be okay? I could come," she offered.

Albus shook his head. "It's fine. Don't worry about it, I can manage on my own. Plus Max is going to be there."

"Oh good." Emma relaxed. Over the past few months, when she realized that Albus wasn't interested in Max either, her attitude had softened towards the slightly brash girl, and the three of them were good friends.

Scorpius, however, was spending all his time with Olivia, and it looked very much like they were in a relationship. The anger Albus had felt at first was almost dissipated, replaced by a dullness, almost like the Scorpius-shaped hole in his heart was filming over. Not mending, just...clouding.

The bell sounded, and Emma quickly finished her lunch and stood up. "Let's go. I think we're doing Patronuses today."

They walked together to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, where Professor Amatis was smiling at the front of the classroom.

"Today...we're going to be learning a complicated bit of magic," she said as soon as they'd all settled in their seats. "It's called a Patronus."

A ripple of murmurs sailed through the room.

"The incantation for the spell," Professor Amatis said, scribbling on the chalkboard, "is Expecto Patronum."

"Expecto Petroleum," a Muggle-born student whispered at the back of the classroom.

"I will demonstrate." She cleared her throat. "First, you must think of a very happy thought." She closed her eyes. "Hold that thought in your mind. Let its happiness envelope you."

Albus rather liked that description.

"And then...EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

A silver wolf shot out of her wand, cantered around the room once, and then leapt up onto an empty desk before vanishing.

"Oooooooh," the class whispered. 

Professor Amatis turned back to the class. "Does anyone know what we use this spell for?"

Hands shot up. 

"Mr. Malfoy?"

"To...to fight off dementors," Scorpius said quietly. Albus twisted round in his seat to look at him; he was pale and staring at the desk. A part of Albus longed to hug him, but the rest of him retained common sense, knowing their friendship was over.

Whatever happened to 'always'?

Professor Amatis nodded, not seeming to notice Scorpius's hesitation. "Yes, and Lethifolds, which are less common." She turned back to the board. "Does anyone want to give it a go?"

The class was silent.

Professor Amatis raised an eyebrow. "How about we all try it, one by one?" She scanned the class. "Carthowler...you first."

Emma stood up and headed to the front of the room.

"Summon a happy thought," Professor Amatis said. "The happiest thought you can think of."

A smile grew across Emma's face. "Expecto Patronum!"

A silver wisp emerged from Emma's wand, dissipating instantly. She frowned.

"Good for your first try," Professor Amatis said kindly. "Miss Chapman, come up!"

One by one, the class attempted the Patronus charm at the front of the class. Scorpius was the only one who came close to a corporeal form, but his animal was indistinguishable.

"Potter."

Albus rose, heading to the front of the room.

Happy thought. What happy thought?

Unbidden, an image came into his mind.  Albus, leaning forward to kiss Scorpius.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

A silver mist solidified from his wand into a giant scorpion.

Humiliated, Albus dropped his wand. The scorpion flickered, then extinguished.

Oh God, oh God. Scorpius.

Scorpius was already on his feet. "Albus—"

Albus grabbed his bag, dashing out of the classroom just as the bell rang.

Nope, nope, nope.